Interesting Facts About Cats
Cats are perhaps the most valued pets than man’s best friend, dog. There are myriad of reasons why they are the most preferred pets. One of them is that cats are the most behaved animals and it’s easier to train them than dogs.
Nevertheless, cats are not only kept as pets but as watch keepers or predators to ensure they deal with rodents such as rats, and other smaller animals which are nuisance to humans.
The following are interesting facts about cats which might make you become fonder of them.
- A group of adult cats is called clowders while a group of kittens is called kindles.
- Cats do not meow at other cats. They meow at humans.
- An average cat weighs 12 pounds. However, there is a cat which broke the record by weighing 47 pounds while another broke the record of being the lightest in weight, eight pounds.
- Despite the fact cat is a very small animal compared to man, its heart beat rate is nearly twice to that of a human, 140 times a minute.
- It is not all cats that have eyelashes.
- Cats spend more time sleeping than involved in any activity, especially those kept indoors 24/7, 16 hours a day.
- It was an offense to kill a cat during Ancient Egypt. The penalty for such an offense was death.
- Kittens eyes’ color change as they grow but when they’re born, their eyes are blue.
- Cats are affectionate of bringing dead animals at the doorstep, doormat or inside the house. The reason for this is because they are glad to present to you a gift. Consider it as a gift of generosity when you find a dead rat at the doormat.
- Americans are known to be fond of cats than any other nationality. This is attested by the fact they spend more on cat food than baby food.
- Cats have both an undercoat and an outer coat. They are thus regarded to have true fur.
- An amazing fact about cats is that they can fall from a 20th floor building and survive unlike humans. They are thus regarded to have nine lives. The chance of dying from falling from the seventh floor is thirty percent compared to dying from the twentieth floor. What might be the reason? By the time it reaches the eighth or seventh floor it has realized what is happening, therefore, it has time to relax and know how to land on the ground safely.
An example is of Glovcaster, an elderly cat in North America which fell from a 20th floor apartment with minor injuries in 2011 while another one fell from a 26th floor apartment in 2009, and still survived.
- By the time they’re one week old, kittens start dreaming.
- One very fascinating fact about cats is they do not eat their preys immediately after killing them. They play with the dead body as if it is a toy. In the case of live animals such as a lizard, it faces a long period of torture-play before it meets its death. The cat will play with it while alive using its claws and teeth. When it gets tired playing with the prey, it kills it. The cat might then play with the dead body or eat it immediately.
- There are no animals that like grooming themselves for a long time than cats. They spend a third of their day doing the job of cleaning their bodies with their tongues.
- In Northern America there are 73 million cats as opposed to 63 million dogs. This indicates 30% of North American households own a cat.
- Consider it is a wonder or hilarious – every year in Northern America an estimated 40,000 people are bitten by cats.
- The jaws of a cat can’t move sideways, the reason a cat cannot chew large amounts of food.
- A cat has more muscles in each ear than a human being, 32 muscles.
- When giving cats food, ensure the diet has plenty of fat for they cannot produce fat on their own.
- Cats are known to have better eye sights than humans, especially at night as they can see six times better than a human.
- The only animals which walk on their claws are cats. The rest of animals walk on their pads.
- Recent research studies have indicated cats are not color blind as is common knowledge.
- When a cat died during the Ancient Egypt, the Egyptians would shave their eyebrows in mourning.
- Cat lovers are known as Ailurophilias.
- Female cats on average give birth to a litter of 1-9 kittens. However, there is an instance of a female cat which gave birth to 19 kittens of which 4 didn’t survive.
Interesting Facts About Cats
- Cats have strong sense of hearing and smelling than humans, 14 times.
- Cats have three eyelids. The third eyelid called haw is visible when the cat is not feeling well.
- The know species of cats are 36.
- Cats are fond of eating grass.
- The female cats are called queens, the males are called toms while the babies are known as kittens/kindles or litters.
- The average life span of cats is between 10-25 years though they can live up to 20 years.
- The reason why kittens sleep a lot is because a growth hormone is produced when asleep.
- As is the case with humans, most male cats are left-pawed while female cats are right-pawed.
- There are more domesticated cats in the world than dogs, over 500 million.
- Cats have flexible teeth and bodies which is adapted to hunting small animals.
- In Asia cats are eaten as part of food menu, four million annually.
- Cats cannot differentiate whether a specific food is sweet like dogs. They can’t tell whether an ice-cream or chocolate is sweet. It is believed by scientists to be as a result of mutation in a key taste receptor.
- Unlike dogs which make 10 different sounds, cats make 100 different sounds.
- The last interesting fact about cats is they don’t think of themselves as small humans. In fact, they think of humans as large cats. Quite an irony!
More by this Author
Becoming the recipient of a break up relationship is not something to smile about. The pain, the hurt-ache. They are unbearable. However, there are things you are not supposed to do after a break up.
When a cat has been amputated for various reasons, as the cat owner how do you go around taking care of it ensuring it derives better comfartability as it recovers from the surgery and learns to adapt
After a break up it's important you do not contact your ex. It's a time of reflection and consideration. Rushing to contact your ex is not wise. Find out why in this article.