18 Fun and Funky Uses for Aluminum Foil
Foil, that lovely roll of metal, has a shine side and a dull side, it comes in two widths and multiple lengths. It also comes in three strengths: regular strength, heavy duty, and extra heavy duty, Which makes it ideal for quite a few uses. Yes, folks, aluminum foil is not just for cooking anymore. It can be used for:
1. Sunlight Blocker For Windows. Tape on the inside of your windows to block the sunlight for those night shift workers who have no choice but to sleep during the daytime.
2. Mirror. Use the shiny side to see your gorgeous face reflected back. I didn't say it was the greatest mirror, but in a pinch it'll do.
3. Water For Dioramas. So, your diorama needs a lake or pond? Tape down a small piece of foil and apply a bit of dark blue spray paint. When the paint is dry, trim the edges with fake grass and tiny pebbles.
4. Spiderman Eyes. You need to make a picture or model of ol' spidey, but you don't know what to do with the eyes. Aluminum foil will do the trick.
5. Wrapping Paper. Use the shiny side or the dull side out. Either way makes an interesting wrapping job. It also lends itself as an excellent backdrop for any number of package wrapping ornamentation.
6. Catch Ice-Cream Cone Drips Wrap a small piece around the bottom of the cone. It's great at stopping leaks.
7. Make an Artist's Palette. Wrap the foil around a plate, piece of cardboard, or anything you have lying around to protect it from the paint or to keep the paint from soaking in (cardboard). It rinses off nicely and can be reused.
8. Photography Reflector. Line the inside of a regular umbrella with the shiny side out to reflect light back onto your subject and eliminate shadows.
9. Hide Damaged Spots in Mirrors. Sometimes, the silver backing on a mirror or looking glass begins to flake off. Hide that bare spot with a piece of aluminum foil taped to the back of the mirror, shiny side out.
10. Make Outdoor Lighting Brighter. Backyard lighting isn't always bright enough for evening parties on the back deck. To brighten up the lighting, without using higher wattage bulbs, line the inside of the lighting fixture with aluminum foil, shiny side out. It'll reflect the light back outward.
11. Mind Control Deflector Beanie. You never know when you might need to have good mind control protection.
12. Foil Sculptures, Figurines, and Multimedia Artwork. Aluminum foil is easily moldable and can be shaped into just about anything, even abstract shapes.
13. Christmas Decorations. Cut the foil into Christmas shapes (stars, angels, trees), and punch some holes with a small nail - like tin punching. Tape the shapes in front of the lights on the tree for a unique lighting effect.
14. Christmas Garland. You know those little strips you always end up with at the end of a roll? Save them up until you have enough to weave into a long rope and use it for Christmas tree garland.
15. Wrapping Camera Film to Protect it During Air Travel. Yeah, this one's probably going to be obsolete soon. But it's supposed to protect the film from radiation when checking through the gate.
16. Fancy Food Wrappers. You've probably seen them, those fancy shapes that restaurants like to create from aluminum foil when sending home a doggy bag at the end of your meal. The shapes can be anything, but probably the most famous are the swans.
17. Bracelets and Necklaces. Like the Christmas tree garland, the strips at the end of the roll can be woven together to create cute necklaces and bracelets.
18. Head Bands From Strips or Covers for Plastic Head Bands. The woven strips technique is one way, but it's not terribly effective for holding back your hair. The better way is to cover an ugly plastic headband. The glue jewelry findings from the hobby store on top of it.
More by this Author
Speed can be measured in many different ways and the instruments used to measure speed vary with the job.
Texas Blue Warrants are intended to for parolees who have or are about to violate their parole.
Plexiglass and tempered glass are great for using in situations where you don't want broken glass with sharp edges going everywhere. THey have functions and uses that are unique to each type of glass.