A List of Quick Easy Sewing Projects
Reusable grocery sack
Before my sewing machine broke and I turned to writing as my creative outlet, I spent hours working with fabric and looking for new projects to try. In fact, this is the second machine I have simply worn out. I suppose I should invest in a new sewing machine. But for now, I will write about sewing instead.
It’s cold outside today and the sky is gloomy. Spending the day in your sewing room is a cozy proposition. If you are looking for some creative ideas, there are many sewing projects that are easy and quick. Here is a list of suggestions that provide not instant, but fairly fast, gratification for that urge to create that we sewists know so well.
- Small pet cuddle sack. Lots of pets like snuggling inside something soft and private to hide or nap.
- Barbie doll blanket set. Fast, easy and fun project for creating a boudoir set for Barbie.
- Reusable grocery bag. Takes about two hours to make, and is very useful. Can even be made as gifts for your family and friends. This is a chic cloth bag shaped like a regular grocery bag because you use a grocery sack as a pattern. This tutorial walks you through the steps.
- Stackable baby toy. Little cushions in graduated sizes that baby can stack.
- Cloth sunglasses case. Here is an easy tutorial on making soft cases for your eyeglasses. Great for stocking stuffers, too.
- Cocktail napkins. Instead of coasters, you can use cocktail napkins at your next gathering. They are so easy to make. Just select your fabric, lightweight cotton works best, and cut a square at least 9” on each side. Using an iron to press, turn the edges under approximately ¼ inch and then again so you have no raw edges. Sew around the perimeter. Your napkin is done. Then fold in half and in half again. Press with an iron. These also make nice stocking stuffers. Stack them and tie them with a ribbon.
- Gift bags. Sew your own gift bags and they can be reused year after year. Good for the environment, and the giftee receives not only their present but a handy gift bag he or she can re-use. You can get fancy with these, put in drawstrings or liners if you want, or they can be tied simply with a pretty ribbon.
- Laptop bag. Make your own carry case for your laptop. You can take the basic pattern and dress it up or add whatever embellishments or features you would like. For mine, I lined it in fleece to give it extra cushioning.
Plastic sack holder. Make your own holder for plastic grocery sacks.
Let the cold winds blow outside. You will be busy in your warm cozy sewing nook creating fun projects! Happy sewing!
Reusable shopping bag
More by this Author
Karen Wodke If you sew, you can make one-of-a-kind gifts for the children on your list. These are gifts that are unavailable in any store at any price, because you have put them together according to your own design....
A great idea for a child’s sewing project is a Barbie doll blanket. These take very little in the way of fabric or time, they are easy, and you can have your little girl help you make it. These can be made...
Counterfeit Check I had posted my resume on several job sites looking for work. One employer contacted me via email and offered me a job. They said they found my resume on Real Match and were interested in hiring me...