Ten Easy To Do Photo Editing for New Amateur Photographers
So, you have decided to be an amateur photographer. Good for you! Photography is one of the most enjoyable hobbies. A hobby should give you fun and pleasure, and photography is that and much more.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of photography is learning all about editing. As an amateur photographer, you got a new best friend. The photo editor! You can use a photo editor of your choice. I use Photoscape, which anyone can download for FREE. It's far from Photoshop, but still, you can turn a dull photo into something stunning.
Take a look at this.
Here's a picture I took in Florida last year. A group of us cyber friends had a get-together in Florida for Halloween. It was our last day and the few of us left were on our way to dinner. Before we left, as an afterthought, I took this picture.
Then I cropped the photo and started playing with editing. I sharpened the photo, deepened it's colour, added a soft texture, borders and a simple frame. And voila! here's the result...
What a difference editing can do!
Here are Ten Easy To Do Editing for New Amateur Photographers:
1. Resize your photo
You can resize your photo to any size. You can make it bigger or smaller, increase the width, or reduce the height.
Here is an example:
The image to the right show that from the original photo (top photo), we are able to make it bigger (middle photo), or make it smaller (bottom photo).
You can manually change the size of your photo by reducing or increasing the width or height and the photo editor will do the rest, or specifying the actual size you want the photo to appear.
2. Crop your photo
The "crop" feature of a photo editor is very easy to use. You can crop your photo so you don't have to worry if your photo is centered or not when shooting.
- if your photo is not centered, you can crop the photo on the sides. If the top is too high, then crop the top to make it even. You do the same to the bottom of the photo, if the bottom part seems too big for the center of your photo.
- if you just want a section of the photo, you can just crop that section (in our photo, just a tire).
3. Rotate, Mirror or Flip your photo
- Rotate - You can rotate your photo 90 degrees to the left or to the right. You can also rotate manually as you wish by using "rotate arbitrary" instead of simply rotate.
- Mirror - You can rotate your photo to make a photo facing the other way. This is called "mirror."
- Flip - You can flip your photo upside down.
4. Sharpen the Quality of your photo
If your photo comes out dull, you can use sharpen to make it look better.
Look at the example to the right.
- Top photo - Original photo is dull and blurry.
- Bottom photo - Using sharpen, the photo looks so much better. The lines are sharper. The photo looks more focused. Even the colours seem brighter.
5. Colorize your photo
Another fun feature of the photo editor is the color function. You can
- deepen, brighten, or darken the color of your photo
- lighten the color by using decolor
- change the color, saturation and luminance curves
- remove color cast
- change colored photos to black and white, or reverse black and white, sepia or grayscale
- enhance the color contrast
You can do all of the above and so much more.
6. Add Borders, Margins and Frames to your photo
Further enhance your photo by adding borders and margins. There are also built in frames you can use in the photo editor.
The example photo below was created by using the reversed black and white photo. I added a 5mm red margin for inside border, and 100mm dark gray margin as outside border. The frame used was notebook style.
7. Create beautiful montage
You can combine your photos using "page" or "combine" to create a beautiful montage.
- Page - create a beautiful montage using templates
- Combine - put photos together sideways, downward or in checkerboard.
The example below was created using a template from page.
8. Input photos, clipboard images and icons on your photo
Editing also allows you to input photos, clipboard images and icons on your photo.
The example below was created using clipboard images added on the photo.
9. Add Text on your photo
You can add text anywhere you like on your photo. You can also use the balloon feature for adding text, as in the example below.
10. Add Texture to your photo
One of my favorite editing feature is adding texture to the photo. Texture creates a new dimension to your photo.
The example below was created by colorizing the greyscale photo to a shade of red, then added flower texture, used 5mm dark grey inside border and 150mm light brown outside border, and then finished it off with a gradient frame.
Isn't photo editing so easy to do and so much fun?
So, start editing those photos. I know they already look good. But now, you can make them look fabulously stunning.
Gift ideas for Amateur Photographers
Did you know? by Rosie2010
Did you know you can create your own HubPage?
Did you know you can be part of a great community, make friends and, share your knowledge and experience, and EARN MONEY through Adsense and other Affiliate programs?
Yes, you can! JOIN HUBPAGES NOW - CLICK HERE!
More by this Author
Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem - Diet Comparison Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem - Diet Comparision - Which is better for you? Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are two of the best and most popular diets in the market. Both Jenny...
Here are the 10 best natural home remedies for constipation, including a little nursing home secret known as "the bomb."
If your nails are breaking or splitting, you either have brittle nails or weak nails. Learn how to protect your nails and finally get the beautiful strong nails you deserve.