Art Lesson: How to Draw a Sea Horse
Art lesson: How to draw a seahorse
As an art teacher, I like to teach lessons on things that are interesting to both kids and adults. Seahorses are one of those animals that most kids really like, and when presented with a chance to draw one, usually get very excited. There is just something whimsical and fun about a creature that is called a horse yet lives in the sea!
In this lesson I will break down the drawing steps one by one with a photo. Under each photo you will find the instruction for that part of the lesson. At the end of this hub you will also find 10 interesting facts about seahorses, which would make a classroom lesson even more informative. Because this turns into a painting which is based on using warm and cool colors, in this first hub we will concentrate on drawing the seahorse and in the next one I will talk about how to paint your seahorse, plus the use of color and medium.
Enjoy your lesson!
What you will need to draw your seahorse art
The things you will need for this lesson are simple:
- White paper (printer paper is OK but if you are going to paint it then something thicker like watercolor or art paper would be best)
- Black sharpie (optional if you want to trace the seahorse in black)
Step by step instruction on how to draw a seahorse
Finish drawing your seahorse
After your basic seahorse shape is drawn, follow the finished seahorse to the right to add your details. You will make a series of connecting semi-circles around the shape (except for the face), add the eyes, the other fins and the shading marks.
After you are done drawing your seahorse in pencil, you can either leave it that way or add pencil shading if you like. I went over my seahorse with black Sharpie in preparation for painting, then I erased any pencil lines that were showing. Make sure your guidelines are totally erased also. You can also pencil in the seahorses habitat with coral and sea grasses, then draw with Sharpie over those lines too.
In the next lesson we will have a lesson on how to use warm and cool colors to paint your seahorse, along with ideas on how to do oil pastel waves and ripples in the ocean. Please remember to subscribe to my RSS feed so you can be notified when new art lessons are published. You can also follow me at:
Photo of a real sea horse
10 interesting facts about seahorses
Sea horses are amazing little creatures. They capture our imagination and also make a great art lesson. Here are 10 interesting facts about seahorses that you may not have known about them:
- Once seahorses fall in love, they stay together for life. They are monogamous.
- Seahorses are the only species in the world in which the males give birth.
- Seahorses range in size from just 0.6 inches (1.5 centimeters) to 14 inches (35 centimeters) long.
- Seahorses propel themselves though the water by using the small fin on their back. This fin flutters up to 35 times per second!
- Seahorses like to eat all day long! They can eat 3,000 or more brine shrimp per day.
- There are 54 species of seahorses.
- Seahorse use the fins near the back of their heads to steer.
- Seahorses do not swim very well. In storms, they sometimes die of exhaustion.
- Male seahorses carry unborn young in a pouch that they have on the front of their bodies.
- Seahorses use their tails to latch onto grasses and coral in the ocean.
Sid the Seahorse giving birth
Poll on the seahorse art lesson
Are you here reading this lesson because:See results without voting
More art lessons by Dorsi
If you have enjoyed this art lesson please stop over at some of my other lessons that I have written here at HubPages. All photos are original and taken by me, along with the writing. I hope you have enjoyed our seahorse art lesson today!
Art Lesson: How To Draw A Hand Print In 3 Dimensional Colors
Online Art Lesson: How To Draw A Clown Fish
Kids Art Lesson: How to Draw a Sea Turtle
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
An art teacher shows how to draw a clown fish step by step. Also includes 5 interesting facts about clown fish. Great for a classroom lesson or for an adult art lesson. Enjoy!
- EDITOR'S CHOICE10
An art teachers step-by-step art lesson on how to draw,color and make your own 3-D hand-print artwork. Great for Mothers Day gifts,birthdays,craft lessons with kids,Fathers Day gifts and just for fun!
- EDITOR'S CHOICE445
Hit your head hard and don't feel right—foggy, in pain, or having trouble remembering? You may have a concussion. Check these symptoms to see if you may have had a concussion and need to see a doctor.