8 BeFunky Photo Effects Tutorial
In my first article on BeFunky 'BeFunky Photo Editor to Create Great Photos for Your Hubs, Blogs or Websites - Review' I described what BeFunky can do with your photographs, how to get started and I gave tips and advice on how to create many versions of your pictures in BLACK & WHITE. There's also a review and the pros and cons of using BeFunky Photo Editor.
In this second installment, '8 BeFunky Photo Effects Tutorial' I will describe how I created the COLOR photo effects using the many Effect Filters in BeFunky.
Read on and have fun creating cool pictures for your hubs, blogs or websites.
p.s. BeFunky Photo Editor basic account is FREE!
A Quick Recap on How to Get Started on BeFunky
- Go to BeFunky website and click on the 'Get Started' icon
- Upload the photo that you want to edit by clicking on the icon 'Upload'
- Once your photo is uploaded, you are set to start. Just chose any of the filters that interest you. Don't be afraid to experiment. You can always undo if you don't like the effect.
- If you are happy with the works, then click the 'Save' icon
1. PHOTO 1 BeFunky Photo Effects
For photo of my cat, Simba (see above), I wanted to highlight the furs and make it more prominent. I also wanted a stronger color. This is what I did:
- I used the 'Sharpen' feature under 'Edit'. When I click on the 'Apply' button, the changes will be applied and my edited image was automatically saved.
- On this edited image, I then used the 'Vibrance' button, also under 'Edited' section. I can adjust the color intensity by sliding the control key. For PHOTO 1, I used the default percentage. Once I am satisfied with the effect, I clicked on the 'Apply' button
- Finally, I applied the 'Underpainting2' filter under 'Effects' to give that painting look.
- In total, I used three filters for PHOTO 1 effect
This technique works well in close up photos, especially of your pets.
2. PHOTO 2 BeFunky Photo Effects
The original photo for this flower was already beautiful. However, I wanted the soft look and choose Underpainting2 Filter. This is the only Filter used for PHOTO 2.
You can use this Filter for most photos, but I personally prefer to apply it to close up or portraits.
3. PHOTO 3 BeFunky Photo Effects
Likewise as in PHOTO 2, I used only one Filter Effect for PHOTO 3, i.e. using 'Underpainting 1' Filter to get the painting look.
This Filter also works well for landscape photos.
4. PHOTO 4 BeFunky Photo Effects
This scene of the fruit seller in the wet market was initially cropped to focus more on the bananas. I then:
- Used the 'Vibrance' Filter to give the banana a brighter yellow hue
- Next, I used the 'Underpainting2' Filter
- Then I used the 'Highlight/Shadow' Filter to darken the background and shadow
- Finally, I used 'Smooth' Filter to remove blemishes on the bananas. I applied only a small amount as I wanted to retain some of the imperfections.
This technique works well if you want to blow-up your photos into poster size pictures.
5. . PHOTO 5 BeFunky Photo Effects
This photo was created by
- Initially using 'Watercolor' Filter
- Then applying 'Ortonstyle1' Filter for the soft effect
Applying the 'Watercolor' Filter removes the details and hence, you get some parts looking overexposed. It is not a perfect image, but for this tutorial, I included it to give you an idea of what you should be looking for and undo and redo to get the right effects.
This technique will work if your photographs are underexposed. Therefore, instead of deleting these photos, you can save them by applying this technique. Thus, 'rescuing' your 'spoilt' photo and turning them into a work of art.
Do You have a Digital Camera? Buy One Now or Upgrade & Have Fun with BeFunky
6. PHOTO 6 BeFunky Photo Effects
I know this is a poor attempt at imitating Van Gogh's Sunflower, but if you want to give it a go then
- Use the 'Vibrance' Filter to enhance the color
- Next, apply 'Impressionist' Filter
- Finally, apply the 'Watercolor1' Filter
7. PHOTO 7 BeFunky Photo Effects
The mangoes in the original photograph were slightly blemished with black scar and dots. I wanted to remove these and make the mangoes more appealing and inviting.
- I initially used the 'Vibrance' filter to add more punch to the color
- Then I applied the 'Smooth' Filter to remove the 'scars'
- Finally, I applied the 'Orthonstyle' Filter for the soft blurry look.
You can use this same technique for portrait photos, to get a smooth complexion look.
8. PHOTO 8 BeFunky Photo Effects
BeFunky is not just about editing and applying effects filters to enhance or jazz up your photographs. You can also have fun by adding humor to the photos.
Go to 'Goodies' section and there are several fun stuffs to choose from.
For photo of Simba,
- I used the Spectacle from 'Facial' button
- Hat from 'Accessories' button
Read My Other Articles on Photo Editing
I hope this tutorial with samples of 8 Photo Effects will get you started on BeFunky and give you some ideas on how to go about editing your photos.
If you want to read more of my other Photo Editing articles, then follow the links below:
- If you have not read my earlier article on BeFunky with tutorial and sample of photos in BLACK & WHITE, then go to 'BeFunky Photo Editor to Create Great Photos for Your Hubs, Blogs or Websites - Review' It also tells you how to get started on BeFunky and the Pros and Cons of using it.
- Pixlr-O-Matic is another photo editing software which specializes in Vintage and Retro photo effects. Read my review with tutorial and samples on how to achieve the effects at 'Pixlr-o-matic for Vintage & Retro Photo Effects - Free Online Photo Editor - Review'
- Need to resize your photos or images for Facebook, Blogs, Hubpages or other websites? Then, read 'Resize Images and Photos Online with Shrink Pictures Software'
More by this Author
Photographer Dennis Skley shares his experience on how to take great black and white images and photos. Read his tips and advice here
Free easy to use web online photo editing app, to apply photo effects. Befunky is a simple tool to transform your digital photos into an instant work of art. It has many range of effects but for this review, I will...
Read my comments and review of Star cruise superstar Libra & my experience on board this cruise ship, before you book & buy their package