Best Out of Waste - How to make a beautiful wall mural using waste material
Best out of waste - Wall Mural
Reuse and Repurpose
All best out of waste ideas gives a strong message that you are in a way saving environment by saving resources. Well that is not my motto when i make such things but i finally end up making something that saves environment may be my contribution is very small but hope i can inspire many to reuse and repurpose old stuff lying in your households. The piece that you see here is made up of mostly waste material and this one is so strong that nothing can destroy this and will increase the beauty of my house. i had never thought that some ice cream sticks, some old cardboard boxes, some pieces of old tiles can be turned into a beautiful art piece. In this hub i will try to explain how i made this with the help of some purchased material and lot of scrap.
Materials used here is explained below but you can use any other material that you have at home which is of no use.
Materials that i bought -
3'x4' plyboard, fevicol, a pack of m seal and acrylic paints.
A scissor and a hammer to break tiles.
Waste material used -
Ice cream sticks, coarboard cartons, newspapers, felt cloth pieces, foam sheet, broken tiles, jute rope, small piece dori.
Popscicle or ice cream sticks are also easily available in the market and are very inexpensive so you can buy these also if don't have previous collection, we should always try to collect sticks whenever we have icecreams,
I have used corrugated part of the cardboard cartons so that i can reveal and show that wavy part.
Steps to make the wall mural
1. Keep the big sized plyboard in a spacious place,
2. Draw the sketch , i used a charcoal stick to draw the sketch on the plyboard, it can be a roughly made sketch, no need of any detailing.
3. Get the m seal ready by mixing both the packets available inside the m seal pack, you have to mix these till it becomes white. You can skip this if not available and use something else. I used this one because i already had a small packet lying.
4. Apply the m seal on the butterfly body and the flower leaves.
5. M seal does not need fevicol as it sticks on its own.
6.Use a comb or a fork and press to create a design over m seal paste, this is only possible till it is wet.
Ice cream sticks and cardboard
I did a mistake here and first used plastic straws on the tree trunk as can be seen in the image but i found that they don't stick well on my mural and will not be durable so i changed it to ice cream sticks and removed all the straws that i pasted.
7. So paste the ice creams sticks on the tree trunk and you can also cut the sticks using scissors wherever necessary.
8. Now for the big leaves of the tree you need to prepare the corrugated part of an old carton. So open the carton from all sides and carefully remove one inner later. Cut the pieces for the tree leaves in a way such that they create a perfect leaf shape with nicely created v shape lines. Paste these accordingly using fevicol.
Apply the tiles pieces
9. I had pink and blue color tiles so i broke them into small pieces using hammer. I have pasted the pink ones in the two flowers seen in the water part and blue ones in those S shape sea weeds. Paste these using fevicol again and you can also wear gloves so that you will not get hurt while picking and pasting tile pieces.
This requires lot of patience and little technique to fit the pieces correctly, it gives a mosaic kinda look.
Apply jute rope and Newspaper circles
10. Using old newspapers you can easily roll and make bamboo sticks, press these and turn these around a round pen or round object and paste the ends, this way you can make many pieces of such paper beads.
11. Now paste these on the one big section of the bird body and fit them properly.
12. Now take a jute rope and paste it over the other two sections of the bird body left. You can spread the fevicol first and then starting from the center keep pasting the rope round and round.
Apply acrylic paints
13. Keep applying acrylic paints as seen in the image. You can choose to apply colors at the end or apply them in between while making the mural.
Blue in the water part with a white for the shading and i have used yellow and orange around the sun and mix them where the meet to create shading effect.
14. Apply brown and black shades on the trunk, and yellow and green shades on the leaves.
15. Apply white and purple shading on the leaves above the bird and use yellow and blue shades on the leaves that are before the bird.
16. Use maroon paint on the tiles to get two shades in the flower,
17. Paint the m seal butterfly in a pearl color and m seal flowers in purple.
Apply foam and felt
18. Cut foam sheets into small pieces and paste these wherever necessary like flower stems, green blue for the grass, beak of the bird. Foam sheets can also be replaced by any other material if don't have at home.
19. Similarly cut and paste small pieces of felt in 2 -3 colors to make the butterfly as seen in the image.Since i had very less options left so i have used only 3 colors in the butterfly.
20. Cut circle pieces of white felt some small and some big and paste these all over the head and neck area of the bird, paste these using fevicol.
Once all of above is done just check for any piece is pasted loose by flipping the mural. You can also do a final coat of varnish for shine and to increase the durability. Get the framing done and fix it on the wall....that's it your mural is ready so enjoy.
More by this Author
Love to create things using waste material and this time i have created a simple looking wall clock using few things lying at home. Be environment friendly and reuse instead of throwing in bins.
Best Out of Waste craft idea for all: Follow these steps to turn materials that you would otherwise recycle or throw out into a beautiful wall hanging.
Here you will find some very easy drawing instructions using only alphabet letters to make it easier for children.