Canon EOS Rebel T2i Compared to Canon EOS 50D
Canon Rebel T2i vs EOS 50D
Are you trying to decide concerning a DSLR for personal use? It can get confusing, right?
In this article, the Canon Rebel T2i and the EOS 50D are in fact being compared. Maybe you have considered one of these two as your next digital SLR?
If you look around the Internet at camera review sites, you may get "brain lock" because there are so many technical issues and features for each camera. It's their job to minutely examine each little complex feature. But if you just want the overall evaluation, you have come to the right place. We will take a peek at some major differences that may swing the pendulum in one direction or the other for you without all the "tech speak". However, that being said, make sure you do check out the camera review sites if minute details are important to you.
Canon has produced some fantastic digital SLRs, and recently, they are getting even better.
So we can start with the cost, because it really is a great place to start.
Keeping the comparison simple, let's consider the body only (no lens included), you can get the canon eos Rebel T2i ($875) for around $125 less than a Canon EOS 50D ($999). Really, since the roll-out of the Canon EOS 7D, the price tag on the 50D has dropped considerably, however, there is more for you to consider
Even though the Canon Rebel T2i is suggested as a "basic level" digital slr, the features rival those of the 50D, and even exceed them in several areas. It really is kind of difficult to consider the T2i as a camera simply for newbies inside the SLR photography marketplace. There are lots of advanced photogs who are acquiring one for a backup to their higher end model.
The key advantages of the Canon Rebel T2i vs EOS 50D:
- Video - this feature is completely lacking in the 50D. And also the T2i has improved significantly over it's older brother (T1i). The video is pretty excellent, although it is not quite as good as a dedicated video camera. Nonetheless it genuinely is an benefit to have both still and movie in the same camera.
- Resolution - The Canon EOS Rebel T2i is a full 3-megapixels over the EOS 50D. The image quality is improving as well, compared to older Rebel versions.
- Exposure Compensation - The Canon Rebel T2i sports a /-5. full stops while the EOS 50D can only range /-2. stops.
- Zone Metering - The Canon 50D has 35 point evaluative metering which is not bad, but the T2i comes with an all new 63 point evaluative metering system.
Now, if you are a newbie in photography, you might not get too excited about such things as exposure compensation and zone metering. Maybe you don't even know what they are, which is the exact point of the comment above that the Canon Rebel T2i shouldn't be regarded as a camera only for beginners. With this camera, Canon has "raised the bar" for entry level digital SLRs.
Let's have a fast look at the advantages of the EOS 50D vs the Canon Rebel T2i:
- Build quality - It's got the "feel" of a much more professional camera.
- AF system - Quicker, more correct auto focus, with a micro-focus adjustment.
- Quick Control Dial - This particular dial on the back of the camera enables users to get rapidly to the majority of camera controls.
- Continuous Shooting - Faster burst rate at 6.3 frames per second vs 3.7.
- Shutter speed - 1/8000th of a second is two times as fast as opposed to 1/4000th.
Bottom Line - The playing field is getting smaller. When choosing a dslr camera, you should certainly study the characteristics to judge them against the needs you have. Quite a few photographers have discovered that even the entry level cameras are fully capable of giving them a good image exactly like the higher end, considerably more pricey cameras.
The Canon Rebel T2i is a remarkable digital SLR which can compete with the big boys in a few very significant areas. It is well worth considering getting a T2i rather than an EOS 50D. In fact, it is almost a given that the engineers at Canon are hard at work coming up with an EOS 60D to make camera buying even more interesting.
More about Canon Rebel T2i and EOS 50D
- Digital Photographic Resources, camera and editing software for photographic images
Find out which digital camera is the absolute best choice for your budget and needs.
- Canon Rebel T2i (550D) Review
Canon released its newest Rebel, the Canon Rebel T2i, less than a year after the T1i. Is this release really necessary? Find out here!
More by this Author
The Tamron 28-75mm lens is a thing of beauty. It is similar to a Canon L lens in build and performance.
Capturing images of birds with your camera can be much easier if you have the right technique and equipment. Here are some suggestions about how to go about photographing those elusive birds.
The digital photography lexicon is meant to give you a layman's understanding of basic photography terms.