Creating Logos: A GIMP Tutorial
Logos with GIMP
Logos are wonderful, whether used for official marketing purposes or for creating titles on digital scrapbooking pages. Creating logos with GIMP is not very complicated, and there is a wide rage of special effects to jazz up any title.
Before beginning this tutorial, find a plain background image of any color. This file will be needed prior to creating a logo.
Creating the Text
- In GIMP, select FILE and OPEN the plain background file.
- Select the TEXT TOOL from the toolbox, and choose the font and text size.
- Type a phrase onto the plain background: the text color should be black.
- Go to the WINDOWS dialog and select DOCKABLE DIALOGS. Choose LAYERS from the drop down window, and a pop-up layers window will appear.
- In this window, click on the small white rectangle in the lower left corner to create a NEW LAYER. Select transparency as the layer type.
Layering the Text
- Click on the text layer.
- Go to the toolbox and choose the FUZZY SELECT TOOL. This tool looks like a lit wand, in the top row of the toolbox.
- Hold SHIFT down and click on each letter or symbol in the phrase with the FUZZY SELECT TOOL.
- Go to EDIT and choose COPY.
- Click on the new, transparent layer and PASTE the text to this layer.
- Select the former background layer, and click the DELETE LAYER icon (trashcan) in the layer window. Delete the text layer, too. You will be left with one layer containing a transparent background containing the phrase.
Applying the Effect and Saving the Logo
- Go to FILTERS and select ALPHA TO LOGO.
- Chose an effect: the "Amazing" effect above was created with the "glowing hot" effect. The "Oh Boy" logo was created with the "comic book" effect.
- Select a color or color gradient to apply to the logo.
- When the effect is applied, a background will reappear under the logo. DELETE the background layer by selecting the layer, then the trash can icon in the layer window.
- Merge down any remaining layers by selecting the LAYERS tab in GIMP, then clicking MERGE DOWN.
- The logo is now complete, on a transparent background. SAVE the file as a .PNG file. The default PNG settings are fine.
More by this Author
How to patch kid's jeans and add appliques to make cool knee patches. Instead of throwing jeans away, simply patch the hole: it saves the environment and your wallet at the same time!
Old black and white photographs may be colorized using digital photo editing software. GIMP is a free photo editing program available for download, and can be used to add a touch of color to old photographs.
Great travel tips and travel toys for one year old children, whether traveling by car or by plane.