How to Create an Outline Effect in Adobe Illustrator
A simple effect, that has astonishing results.
- Open a new document in Illustrator.
- Make a closed path or type some text. If you use text, make sure you expand it, by selecting it and going Object -> Expand.
- Copy and paste what you just made, and make one white (the one that will be on top), and one black (the one on the bottom).
- Select the black one, go Effect -> Path -> Offset Path. Click on the "Preview" check box, and figure out how thick you want the outline to be. Click OK.
- Make sure the white one is on top by right clicking on the object and going Arrange -> Send to Front. And make sure the black one is on the bottom by going, right click -> Arrang -> Send to Back.
- Then, make sure your "Align" window is open by going Window -> Align. Select both object and click the "Vertical Align Center" and "Horizontal Align Center" buttons.
- Sit back and enjoy your awesome design.
More by this Author
Fonts begin like anything, with sketches on paper. It's important to draw as many characters as you possibly can, including punctuation, and numerals. Once you have doodled your letters for quite a while, it is time to...
Quality lettering is far superior to a a font for a tattoo.