Earth Day Crafts: Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars
I had dozens of toilet paper rolls kept in the storeroom and had decided to turn some of them into something fun for my son to play with since he had grown bored of his old toys. You don't have to fork out money to buy new toys for your kids. Just recycle trash into useful toys since kids interest in new toys do not stay for a long time.
What Your Kids Could Learn From Toilet Paper Craft?
- It was fun in making this Toilet paper Roll Binocular craft together as my son gets to choose his favorite colors for the construction papers, cut them up and pasting around the toilet rolls did tested his patience.
- Kids are always full of curiosity, wonders and tons of questions kept popping up one after another as I answered every questions. Hence, my son learnt what Earth Day was all about, how to reuse and recycle trash and lots of questions about how the toilet papers were created, etc...
- Teach your kids about the benefits of recycling unwanted items into useful and fun objects to play with while commemorating Earth Day.
How Substitute Toilet Paper Rolls
If you don't have any empty toilet paper rolls, don't pull out the rolls from new toilet papers!
- Use empty card boxes from grocery items such as mushroom soup boxes, refillable powder milk boxes, just to name a few.
- Cut off the flaps and all the four sides of the box.
- Roll each card box into a cylinder .
- Seal up the edges with white glue, double-sided tape or masking tape to ensure that it doesn't comes off easily.
Test Yourself , How Much You Know About Earth Day
My Own Style Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars
I had seen many websites and Pinterest that featured Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars which are either hand painted with water colors, crayons or color pencils. However, I really do not want to see my son holding a pair of binoculars with paints smear on his hands especially if his hands are wet or sweaty.
As you many know, kids are not aware and cautious of the hygiene and toxic found in paints, crayons and color pencils, even though many branded companies claimed that their products are toxic free. It is better to be safe than sorry. Your kid might be holding a piece of graham cracker in one hand which had been smeared and pop in the food with the toxic paint into his mouth! Think about the consequences.
Hence, I decided to changed the coloring phase to pasting construction papers instead, which are clean and colorful.
How To Make Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars
I found several pieces of rectangular papers which have almost the similar size of the toilet rolls. Allow your child to choose the color that he fancied. Trust me, he will be so excited and bounce into energy that he couldn't wait for the next step.
We pasted the blue color construction paper on one end for both toilet paper rolls with white glue. Then use bits of torn or different shapes of yellow construction papers to paste the other end. You could replace them with left-over gift wrapper or brochures, whatever paper material that you could find lying around your house. Don't waste money on buying or using new piece of construction paper. These torn or small bits of papers fit well too. Just cover up all the empty spaces.
Then, glue both sides of the toilet rolls together and use a longer piece of construction paper to wrap them together. Finally, poke 2 holes in the rolls and thread in a long string so that you could hang the binoculars around you kid's neck.
Things You Need :
2 empty toilet rolls
some colorful construction papers
a bottle of white glue
2 pegs or clothes pin
a long string
How To make Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars
- Sort out large pieces of construction papers which have the similar size of the toilet roll paper.
- You will need 2 pieces as there are 2 toilet rolls you need to cover up. Allow your child to pick the color.
- Then, teach him to apply white glue onto the blue paper ( my son chose his favorite color ).
- Don't use finger to scoop up the glue. Use a kebab stick or toothpick to scoop it up if you are using a bottle of white glue with wide opening.
- For those who are using small white glue bottle with small tip, just spread the glue all over the blue paper and paste it around one end of the toilet roll paper.
- Repeat the same procedure for the second roll too.
- I have some bits of yellow constructions paper which are partly torn but I don't want to throw them away. So, I used them to paste the other end of the toilet paper roll.
- Try not to use new piece of construction paper. Waste of money.
- Gave my son the small pieces of paper and he applied the white glue, paste them onto the other end of the toilet paper roll.
- Told him to overlap those empty spaces with extra yellow construction papers.
- You could substitute the paper with gift wrapper or brochures too. Make the binoculars unique and fun.
- Apply a strip of white glue on one side of the toilet paper roll.
- Spread as generously as you can.
- Fix the other roll together.
- Use 2 pegs to clip the middle part of the binoculars, each peg for one side.
- Allow the white glue set in. It will take approximately 20 minutes to dry.
- While waiting for the glue to dry, get another piece of long rectangular paper which has the length of both toilet paper rolls.
- Apply white glue on all sides of the pink construction paper and paste it around the middle part of the binoculars.
- This is to cover up the middle part so that both the toilet rolls may still stick together just in case if they fell apart.
- Now, for the final task. Get a string or yarn and measure the length that your kid wants to hang the binoculars around his neck.
- I measured mine is approximately 30 inch long.
- Use a sharp tool such as screwdriver or a penknife to poke one small hole on the right hand side of the binocular and do the same for the left hand side.
- Make sure that the hole is big enough for the string to thread in.
- Remember, poking the holes ARE NOT the child's task. This is to be done by ADULTS only.
- Thread in the string on the left hand side and tie 2 knots to ensure that it is not loose.
- Repeat the same procedure for the right hand side hole too.
- Remove the pegs but don't let your child to pull apart the binoculars. Otherwise the paper will tear off too.
- Your kid's Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars is done. Have fun bird watching !
Last but not least...
Hope that you had a great time making this toilet paper craft with your kid(s) at home. Make this binoculars unique and one of its kind. Let your imagination run wild and have a good time mix-matching the color papers or gift wrappers !
Wishing all a "Happy Earth Day" , Remember, EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY !
Peachpurple Hubs Related to Recycle Crafts
- Earth Day Quotes and Earth Day Poems
Spread out earth Day Quotes and Poems to your friends, family members , kids, students and even the public. Many people still doesn't know much about Earth Day and how to celebrate this special day. Share your knowledge and tips about recycle, reuse,
- Special Handmade Gift- How to make Alphabet Key Chain Holder
Key chain holder makes a perfect gift for anyone. It can be a wonderful gift for birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's day, Father's day or any other day. Handmade key chain holder brings memorable memories to both giver and receiver.
- How to make Cute Valentine's day Card with Hearts
Valentine's day handmade card. Lots of fluttering hearts, cute and easy to make.
- Creative Gift: Flower Key Chain Holder
Make as many Flower Fabric Key chain Holder during your spare time. These small handmade gifts are unique and perfect for special occasions such as birthdays, Christmas, Valentine’s day. One of my favorite handmade gifts to keep them spare in hand ,
- Special Gift Idea: How to fold Mini Paper Hearts
Don't know what to buy for your special person on her birthday, Christmas Day, Valentine's Day? Why not make something special for instead of wasting money, time and energy window shopping all day. This project is easy for all ages, even kids know ho
- Unique Gifts: How to make Easy Paper Rose Flower
Make this year Mother's Day a special day by making your own handmade gifts for your mom. Handmade Paper Rose Flower is easy and can last all year. It is inexpensive and lovely too.
- RECYCLING CRAFTS for KIDS
Earth day is a day where kids and adults celebrate this day with many activities to help to save our planet Earth and to create awareness about our damaged environment due to men greed.Although we couldn't help in a big way, we could reuse, recycle a
Cute Children Making Binoculars
© 2013 peachy
More by this Author
Here are some wonderful birthday quotes, wishes, funny wishes and simple verses for you to choose to write in your birthday card. Be choosy. Choose the suitable ones for this special person. Most of these messages are...
Don't know what to buy for your special person on her birthday, Christmas Day, Valentine's Day? Why not make something special for instead of wasting money, time and energy window shopping all day. This project is easy...
Toddlers and kids love to imitate other kids and parents behaviors. Repeating and mimicking everything is their learning ability, curiosity to learn evrything they want to know