Easy Make Your Own Valentines Card
Homemade Valentine's card
There's something pretty special about a handmade Valentine's card - so make sure you give it to someone special!
These cards are also fun to do and you don't need a huge lot of artistic talent to make them. Each card uses a different technique and materials and all are fun to do. You can add extras on to them to make your designs elaborate, or you can keep them simple. It's up to you!
2 Easy Valentine's Card Ideas
Both of the ideas shown here are easy to do, but the easiest by far is the kisses: it requires no artistic ability at all. (Just the ability to kiss!) But it might not be the first choice for a man making a card because it does involve wearing some make up!
Instructions in pictures
Craft heart punch is available on Amazon
If you don't feel confident about cutting out with a knife, you can use a punch.
How to make a Valentine's Day card: Style 1
- 1 thick piece of A4 paper (or thin card.)
- 1 medium or thin piece of A4 paper
- Some tissue paper scraps in different colors
- a glue stick
- A sharp craft knife
OR (especially if children are making the cards)
- a Heart shaped craft punch
Although I chose subtle colors for this card, you can use any colors you'd like. The first time I made it I used a black background and rainbow colored hearts.
This card is made of 2 layers of paper with the tissue paper sandwiched in between. Because you will be cutting into the outside layer, it should be a light or medium weight paper, and the inner layer can be thicker so that the card stands up easily.
Tip: By using single or multiple layers of tissue paper you can get a variety of shades from just a few colors.
- Fold both sheets of paper in half to make your card shape.
- Select the colored paper. On one side only, cut out some hearts.
If you are using a craft knife to cut them out, draw the hearts out with a pencil first. If you are using the craft heart cutter you don't need to draw them first.
- Arrange the hearts randomly around your card. Or if you wish you can arrange them more precisely - the design is up to you!
- Stick scraps of tissue paper onto the wrong side of the colored card, so all the hearts are covered. Vary the number of layers you use, and you can also layer different colors together to get more variety. (To avoid tearing the tissue paper, don't glue it, but instead glue the card around the holes and then stick the paper onto it.)
- Glue the white paper or card onto the colored sheet to create a neat finish inside your Valentine's card. To do this you only need to glue around the edges and add a few dabs in the middle of the card.
- Add your message.
Instructions in Pictures
How to make a Valentine's Day Card: Style 2
Although this card is very easy to make, it probably requires a little explanation, because the method is unusual to say the least! It's also a lot of fun and makes a very striking card.
You make "kisses" on the card by literally kissing it. You need a lipstick that is firm in texture and not greasy. Otherwise all you'll get is a smudge.
Because this card is only one layer, you will need a thick paper or card that can stand up by itself.
The instructions given here are for the card you see opposite. Having worked as a designer, I feel confident when creating craft pieces such as these and chose to do a randomly arranged design, but if you are less confident of your abilities, then it's fine to plan it out more evenly.
- Brightly colored lipstick
- Thick paper of thin card
- Additional scraps of paper (optional)
- Sequins such as hearts or flowers (optional)
- Put a fairly thick layer of lipstick on your lips.
- Fold the paper in half to make your card.
- "Kiss" the card firmly.
- Reapply lipstick every 1 - 2 kisses depending on how the quality of the images.
- For more variety you can also use textured papers and glue these onto the card.
- Add extra decorations, such as sequins, if you wish. Scatter these randomly over the card, or arrange them any way you'd like.
Tip: when making kisses be careful not so smudge the ones already on the card. Using pretty scraps of paper is a good way to avoid this problem!
More by this Author
Ideas for painting activities to do with children, including step by step instructions. Video and photo instructions.
An easy to make and fun easter bunny decoration for a pencil, with step by step instructions.
Even natural toothpastes aimed at toddlers can contain ingredients that you would not want your child to swallow. This article reviews several natural toothpastes, taking a close look at ingredients as well as taste.