Easy to Make Homemade Happy Birthday Card
This is a very easy and fun birthday card to make using a Stampin'Up! punch and a Stampin'Up! acrylic stamp. I made this card for my daughter's recent birthday and with all the planning for her present I completely forgot to make a card (yes I know, I make alot of cards...no excuse) so I wanted to design a card that would be very quick but also nice looking for her when it was done.
The products from Stampin'Up! are top notch! The acrylic stamps I use are so precise and easy to use along with the acrylic stamp blocks. The "Wishing you a Happy Birthday" stamp is from a collection of birthday phrases; some are in a block layout; some longer like this phrase is.
The punches are very sharp and produce a cleanly cut shape. The punch I used for this card, Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer Punch, is unique in the fact that three different types of punched shapes can be made and I used all three for this homemade Happy Birthday card.
- Left Position: Solid flower shape
- Middle Position: Solid flower and flower outline shape
- Right Position: Solid flower, Outline, and middle petals cut thru shape
What is the most fun about this card is you can punch out multiples of each flower shape, using each of the three positions, very quickly. Then you sit and arrange the shapes in layers which are pleasing.
Scrapbook cardstock: Heavy weight cut to a 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 size.
Scrapbook cardstock: Patterned piece cut to a 5 1/4 x 4 size for the base card background.
Scrapbook Cardstock: 3 small pieces for rectangular cutouts
Punch: Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer
Stamp: Happiest Birthday Wishes collection
Optional: Foam squares for a 3D affect
Step by Step
- Fold the 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of heavyweight cardstock in half ( I use a folding tool making the fold clean and precise). Lay something heavy on it while you create the shapes, this will make the card stay closed.
- Take your 5 1/4"x 4" piece of cardstock and adhere it to the base card; centering it.
To create the various flower layered shapes, use matching or complimentary colors and patterns of cardstock. Some flowers will use all three punch positions; others one or two. Punch out extras of each cardstock color/pattern then mix and match them until you create a flower that is appealing.
For these flowers you could use the small foam squares on some of the top layers; added a depth and 3D affect to the flower layers.
The Left Position of the punch creates a solid flower shape. Slide your paper into the punch and press down firmly, then slide it out. The flower shape will drop out too.
- The Middle Position of the punch creates a smaller solid shape along with an outline. Slide your paper in the same way.
- The Right position of the punch creates an outline, center cutout of the petals, and petal pieces (if you decide to use them, save them; otherwise discard the petals).
Adhere the flower shapes together
- Right and Middle cutouts create a simple flower cutout layer.
- Middle and Right cutouts adhered to the Left cutout create a 3-Layer flower. If you use three different kinds of scrapbook cardstock, the affect can be great!
I've included photos of the various flower layers that I created; some with all 3 layers, some with just two layers. I sat with all the cutouts in front of me and just tried different combinations until I had 8 finished layered flowers.
By hand or with a paper cutter cut out 3 different rectangles.
- 2 1/4" x 1 2/16"
- 2" x 1"
- 1 7/8" x 3/4"
Place your Happy Birthday stamp on a stamp block; choose the color of ink and carefully stamp the smallest rectangle with the phrase.
Adhere the two larger layers together first then make sure the top layer stamp is dried and adhere it to the top.
Adhere the finished rectangle to the middle of the card.
Adhere the finished flower layers around the rectangle in a pleasing arrangement of color.
Take a few of the extra flowers you create and adhere them to the inside of the card.
More by this Author
The flamingos are such cute cutouts and can be used for any homemade Cricut Card. Stamping and Serenade cartridges from Cricut are easy and fun to use.
The Cricut Personal Paper Cutter machine has expanded my creativity to no bounds. I am able to create beautiful and meaningful greeting cards with the Cricut. The Cricut cartridges and cardstock are all that I need to...
Don't buy Laundry Detergent, make your own! It is easy and only takes about 15 minutes to do. Costs pennies per load. The ingredients are pure with a wonderful smell-no perfumes/dyes.