Felt Heart Craft for Valentine’s Day Gifts and Decorations
Create Felt Heart Finger Puppets for Valentine’s Day Gifts and Decorations
This sweep-you-off-your-feet craft project hub with inspiring ideas for designing your own gifts and decorations has a variety of easy to make felt hearts waiting to be used in any number of ways.
Taking you from finger puppets to jewelry to dessert, you’ll wish you had more time to spend making these delightful Valentine’s Day creations. Hint--you will also want to keep the method in mind for other holidays.
Supplies for Felt Heart Finger Puppets
You will want to gather the following items before starting your heartfelt finger puppets so your time will not be interrupted with having to search out supplies:
• Felt Squares or Felt Fabric
• Coordinating Threads
• A Sheet of Paper
• Craft Sticks
• And last, but not least, an afternoon or evening set aside for having fun!
Step by Step Method for Making Felt Heart Finger Puppets
Though the following method is for one of the heart puppet designs I made, as you read through the directions remember that the same process can be used for most any design. Be sure to note the photos and their captions for more detail, and feel free to post questions below.
1. Fold and cut the paper into quarters and then eighths. These pieces will be used to make small patterns.
2. Draw and cut out a heart approximately 2" tall on one piece of paper, and a smaller heart on another.
3. Fold the largest heart in half and use sharp scissors to cut a slit no larger than 1/2” (size it to be slightly smaller than your craft stick) about 3/4 of the way down from the top of the heart.
4. Draw and cut out an i shape from another piece of paper, adjusting size of the i to the smallest heart shape. You can see that I decided to make a straight i rather than give the letter a base.
6. Use the same stitch to sew the small heart to the large one. Don’t be afraid to position it off center for interest.
7. You can now insert the craft stick to open the slit, making it easier to place on a finger or to use as a craft stick puppet.
The Last Batch for this Year (Probably)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Do you plan to use this felt heart hub to design your own projects?See results without voting
Variations on the Felt Heart Finger Puppet Theme
Once you’ve practiced making the first finger puppet you are ready to enlarge your little family of hearts. The group of photos beside this paragraph show you the set of three I created to say “I Love You” for distant grandchildren.
The u pattern turned out a little wide so I simply folded it in the middle to fit the felt heart it would be sewn to. After sewing it on I dared myself to cut a tiny heart out of the corner of that heart shape and it was a successful attempt, but I recommend doing cut outs before sewing embellishments on.
After the set was made I decided to sew a small heart to the corner of the i heart to balance the design of the set out. That was also successful, but more careful pre-planning would have saved me a little stress induced sweat.
Designing the face hearts was fun stuff. These are my first attempt, but I’m looking forward to designing some with more expression one day. Yes, that far-in-the-future one day... If you beat me to it I hope you’ll write a hub on the process so I can link it here!
DIY Tutorial on Basic Hand Sewing Stitches for Felt Projects.
Bonus Ideas for Using Felt Heart Finger Puppets
Keep in mind that this heartfelt Valentine’s Day craft is seasonably adaptable.
Think flowers for spring, stars for summer, pumpkins for fall, and snowmen for winter holidays. Make plans now to enjoy felt finger puppets for all of your special occasions!
Take a Look at how Your Felt Hearts can be Used To Make Jewelry
Other Projects You Might Enjoy Seeing:
• Build and paint a toy cradle for a special little one's playtime.
• Create a child's pillowcase designed just for them.
• Summer's coming--paint children's 4th of July tee shirts ahead of time.
• Decorative paint for a small cabinet turns it into a delightful piece with purpose.
• Use these place cards for holiday dinners to help you customize and craft your own.
More by this Author
♥ A painted t-shirt can be a special gift from the heart if you follow these simple directions. Enjoy designing a Valentine's Day gift for your little one!
Using natural elements to create wreaths and swags for the holidays is extra special when using fragrant eucalyptus. It's surprising how many arrangements cuttings can make!
Your insomnia may well be caused by products containing artificial sweeteners! Do you know how the brain responds to these products and what is being reported by consumers who have used them?