How To Make A Grass Head (Grass Doll) Step By Step
Chad The Grass Head
“Lonely? Grow Yourself a head.”
line taken from yoyomax12 on youtube, video at the end.
I just bought a grass head for my girlfriend after I saw the one my mother bought for herself. The grass doll she has cost less than $3 dollars and I thought it was a brilliant idea to decorate your home or garden. It is cheap, creative and fun, you can make them yourself as well. So far, the face designs I have seen haven´t impressed me much, although when the hair (grass) starts to grow they look really nice. The last video I present involves some very creative grass dolls.
Have you made Grass Heads before?See results without voting
Grass Heads are also known as:
- Mohawk Grass Doll
- Chia Doll (As seen in Fox New´s Chia´s Obama Commercial)
- Grass Heads
- Grass Doll
Monster Grass Head
Just imagine all the grass heads you could make by being more creative
- Bart Simpson grass doll (an obvious example since he already has vertical arrow hair).
- A stegosaurus with grass instead of spikes!
- Grass Porcupine with grass spines sprouting out its back
- A punk head Mohawk of grass painted with different colors
Children love these dolls because they are actually an interactive toy. They have to water it regularly; they can trim the grass hair to a particular style and nurture it with sunlight and fertilizer.
- Grass seeds. Buy them from any nursery garden. You could also try chives, rye or alfalfa seeds to get creative. A Youtuber is experimenting with wheat grass to eat the hair after it has grown. Find the video at the end.
- Pantyhose or old nylon stockings. Pop socks or knee highs… you get it. Apparently you can use any kind of socks, but grass could have a difficult time sprouting from other than pantyhose or stockings.
- Sawdust or Potting Mix. This is to stuff your grass head. Does grass grow on your lawn? Then I guess soil from there would work just as well. Soil is cheap so get the best for your dolls.
- Small jar or yoghurt pot. The traditional way to grow them is on a jar so the head can take water constantly. This also provides a body that you can decorate and give the grass doll some personality.
- Accessories. The usual are goggly eyes and fabric scraps for the mouth, but the most awesome grass heads wear eyeglasses and jewelry from recycled materials. Place no limits to your creativity.
- Water-proof glue. So you can paste the face parts without them dissolving with the water. Some people find it easy to use a hot glue gun like in the instructional video below.
Making the Grass Head Step by Step
Step 1: First cut off the stocking around 8 inches (20 cm), make sure to include the toe. If the sock you are using doesn´t include the toe then just tie a knot in one end to close it (turn it inside out to hide the knot).
Step 2: Get yourself a large mug to stretch the stocking on.
Step 3: Add 2 teaspoons full of grass seeds into the toe.
Step 4: Fill the stockings with sawdust, or the potting soil, or water dirt grows outside from your home. The size of Grass Head should be slightly bigger than a tennis ball.
Step 5: Close the end with a knot and leave a tail. The one a bought doesn´t include the tail so it isn´t completely necessary unless you want to make a body for the Grass Doll, which I recommend not only for fun but to have a place to sit it.
Step 6: now that you have the head, it is time for the features. Make a “ball” nose and ears by grabbing a bit of stocking and twisting. To hold it, fasten the nose and ears with rubber band. Now you have a standard Grass Head.
Step 7: To give it some personality use fabric scraps, permanent marker or any other decorative material. Your own personal Frankenstein is coming to life!
Step 8: You got the Grass Head done, if you want to give it a body take the yoghurt container or jar and use some colored paper to turn it into a dress, superhero costume, robot… you tell me!
ADVICE: Remember the Grass Doll will be wet constantly so use waterproof materials.
Instructions on taking care of your Grass Head
1. Dunk the Grass Doll in water for the entire night (some people just soak it for a while but these are the instructions a got in the nursery garden).
2. Half fill the “body” or jar with water. Put the head on top with the tail of the stocking falling into the water. Others I´ve seen have a cottontail attached from the head to the water, like a bridge to help it keep moist. If you are not making a body don´t bother with this.
4. The seeds will begin to germinate after 3 days. Add water the head every 2-3 days with sunlight during the mornings so the grass grows a nice green color.
5. The grass will sprout from the head after 5 to 7 days. After it has grown more than 5cm, you can begin to trim it however you like.
Grass begins to turn brown and die after 3 months. Remember to tell kids about this.
WATCH THE NEXT VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE A GRASS HEAD STEP BY STEP
- This Grass Head is somewhat small but is the same process.
- The next video involves some creative looking Grass Dolls.
How to make your own "Chia Pet" Grass Head
Most Creative Grass Heads
© 2013 David Trujillo Uribe
More by this Author
You´ve probably heard some of these not-to-do in the microwave tips, some you have innocently performed and others you´ll be surprised to hear about. MUST READ!
Your trip to the Georgia Aquarium can be a great burden or a fantasy trip. Follow these tips and make your visit something to never forget, but for all the good reasons.
This are all cultural based tips that you will find no where else to date colombian women. From how to dance with them, drinks and even what matters most when meeting the family.