DIY Shoe Accessories | How To Make Your Own Flower Shoe Clips
If you're wondering what shoe clips are, you may need to read this article, 'What Are Shoe Clips?' first. But for those of you who already know what shoe clips are, this is just a short write on how you can make your own flower shoe clips.
Flower shoe clips are very popular in spring and summer. It is a festive way to dress up your pair of shoes, slides, slings, and flip-flops. Most department stores like Target and Wal-Mart do carry a few style. But some of those can be just plain boring. So if you're like me, I like to have my accessories made certain ways, that makes it more wearable for me. So, I would buy some and redo them, or I'll just make mine from scratch. It's just less work and more rewarding to do that.
Flower shoe clips are really easy to make as you really don't need to make the flower from scratch, you just need to pick up a few of the flowers that you like from the craft store. When you do pick your flowers, buy them in pair and try to get them in the same shades, as some of the flower do tend to have slightly different color shades and sizes. So you need to carefully pick the ones that are very identical in shade and size.
DIY Flower Shoe Clips
To make a pair of flower shoe clips you'll need the following:
- Flowers - This is the main ingredient. A pair of medium size soft silk flower with the stems cut off. Any color will do.
- Shoe Clips Base - This is the metal piece that the flower will be attached to. It is the piece that secures the finished flower shoe clips to the shoe. Some people like to use small paper clips (ouch!) or earring clips in the absence of the shoe clips base. Those can work too, but they tend to scratch and pinch at your skin and can be very irritating as you walk. So I strongly recommend that you use the real shoe clip base (pictured right). They are comfortable and grips better than the paper clips and earring clips. So you don't have the fear of your clips slipping off your shoes. Shoe clip base can be bought here, or on eBay.
- Glue Stick/Glue Gun - The hot glue gun and fitting glue sticks are needed to attach the flower to the shoe clip base.
- 2 Pieces of Cotton fabric, Ribbon, or Flower petal. Each piece should measure about 1"L x .5"W. This will be used on the shoe clips to protect your shoe from the glue that could sometimes run unto your shoe and cause some ruin.
Once you have all the ingredients listed above, then it's time to put it all together.
Making The Flower Shoe Clips
The first thing you want to do is to cut off the stems, the plastic and metal stem below the flower. Try to get it all off without cutting the flower itself. Once that's done, it's time to begin.
To secure the flower unto the shoe clip base, you can either
- Sew the flower to the base, or
- Glue the flower to the base.
The latter secures it better. For this tutorial we'll use the glue.
Step 1: Apply glue to the center-back side of the flower as shown.
Step 2: Secure the base onto the glued area. Press base gently down on the glue to set.
Step 3: Dab the base, the part with the hole, with some more glue, as shown.
Step 4: Place one of the flower petal or any piece of fabric or ribbon (really tiny piece) over the glued area. This is to prevent the glue area from coming in direct contact with your shoes as it can damage that part of your shoe if it's made of real leather.
Once flowers are secured to the hole part of the base, wait a few minutes (about 5 minutes) to allow the glue to set well and hard. You may need to clean around the metal clip base to remove any excess glue residue. A damp cloth or paper towel does the job well.At this point, you are done making your flower shoe clips.
Making shoe clips is not hard at all. whether you're using flowers, fabric, leather or feathers, the process is the same. Once you know what you want, map out your materials, and follow the steps above. It's that easy.
Next time we'll take a look at how to use flowers for other accessories. Now, go ahead, attach the flower shoe clips to your shoes! Your shoes will thank you.
Curious about how the metal base actually attaches to the shoes? Then watch the accompanying video. You'll see first hand how to attach the finished shoe clip to your shoe.
Other Types of Shoe Clip-On You Can Make
Shoe Clip-On Type
Rhinestone Shoe Clip-On
Pair of Vintage Rhinestone Brooches, hot glue-gun, glue, shoe clip base
Beaded Shoe Clip-On
Woven/Stringed Beads, hot glue-gun, glue, shoe clip base
Fabric Shoe Clip-On
Ribbon/Regular silk, chiffon, sequin, linen fabric, hot glue-gun, glue, shoe clip base
Button Shoe Clip-On
Pair of large buttons, hot glue-gun, glue, shoe clip base
Voila! Now, that's a beauty.
How To Use Shoe Clips
Don't let the name fool you. Shoe Clips are not just for your shoes. Though they usually come in pair, shoe clips can also be used as a varieties of fashion accessories. You can;
- Pin them to your hair - This is especially true for those rhinestone and feathered style shoe clips. They look great in your hair.
- Attach them to your evening purse - to add sparkle or to give a different look.
- Use the clips in your gift package for weddings, for bride-maids gifts etc.
- Attach clips to plain belts for that extra flair.
- Use as a brooch on jackets or blazers
Has this tutorial helped your understanding of Shoe Clips and how to make yours?See results without voting
Applying and Removing Your Shoe Clips
Caution: The prongs on the shoe clips base has been known to wear on the inside of shoes. That is because most people tend to 'yank it off' their shoes, causing it to rip off their shoes little by little. The best way to remove the clip is to pull it gently away from the inside of the shoe.
If you would like to see or buy some shoe clips/base, and other accessories that I make, take a look here at my Etsy store.
Do you love to write? Do you have a passion for sharing with others what you know? You can do that by signing up right here on hubpages. And guess what? You'll make some money doing it too.
Author: Comfort Babatola - © 2013
More by this Author
With wood branding iron you can make clear markings of letters, numbers, or words in wood and other materials. These can be in form of your business name, logo, or acronyms
Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets. Colorful, stretchy, ribbon crafts anyone would love to wear. See how easy it is to make.
See how the 'Gele", an African head-wrap has been re-Invented, and learn how one man is making a living with the gele - See His 'How To Tie Gravity-Defying Gele' Video