How To Make Stunning Ribbon Bracelets, Boxed Stitch Style | DIY Ribbon Craft Tutorial
Friendship bracelets are fast becoming everyone's favorite piece of jewelry, especially among teenage girls. And, most everyone including men, like wearing some type of bracelet.
This tutorial is to show you how to make Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets out of colorful ribbons that are inter-woven to form a colorful stretchy bracelet.
Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets are not very common out there yet, but will soon be. These bracelets can be made using the old traditional box or quad stitch used for most lanyard or gimp bracelets. Although, this tutorial is to show you how to make boxed stitch bracelets using grosgrain ribbons, you can also make these bracelets out of leather strips, fabrics, and shoelaces.
Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets - A Colorful Addition to Your Jewelry Collection
One cool thing about Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets is that they can be made out to be so colorful. The trick is to choose 4 different colors grosgrain ribbon in a color combo that's sure to match most of the outfit in your wardrobe. Another thing about these ribbon bracelets is that anyone, adults and, especially teen boys and girls, would love wearing them. It may even turn out to be a favorite craft of your teens once you get them involve in the process.
The making of these bracelets requires your patience and great attention to details since you will be making lots of interlocking and overlapping layers of the ribbons to get the bracelet to turn out right.
What You Need To Make Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets
To make Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets , you need the following materials:
- 8 yards of grosgrain ribbons cut into four equal parts of 2 yards each. Ribbon can be either a 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide. (a) If you plan to use one color ribbon, get a full eight yard to be cut into 4 equal parts (2 yards each). (b) For a mix of two colors, get 4 yards of each color, then cut the 4 yards into 2 equal parts. (c) For a mix of four colors, get 2 yards of each color ribbon.
- Scissor, to cut and trim ribbons and thread.
- Sewing needle and thread, for sewing the finished ends together.
Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets Step-By-Step Tutorial
Once your ribbons are all cut to size and ready, then it's time to start overlapping and interlocking the ribbons.
To begin, first thing to do is to
- Lay all ribbons on a flat surface (see Image 1). Find the center point of the ribbons (about 36 inches through the middle) overlapping at center as shown (Image 1).
- Then glue ribbons where they overlap (at center) to keep ribbons from shifting/moving around. Use a light, clear fabric glue to keep ribbons from hardening up, or you can tack through with needle and thread, just enough to keep ribbons from shifting around. If you're using glue, give it time to dry. Once ribbons are in place (not shifting around), then, it's time to start interlocking the ribbons.
- How To Make Your Own Shoe Ornaments
Different types of everyday and elegant shoe ornaments to adorn your plain shoes. Plus, learn how you can make yours.
- DIY Shoe Accessories - How To Make Your Own Flower Shoe Clips
Now you can make your very own shoe clips ornaments, flowers, or bling that you can attach to your shoes. Perfect shoe flower for your wedding shoe. See how to.
Twistz Bandz Rainbow Loom
Finishing Your Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets
To start interlocking the ribbon, using quad stitch pattern, overlay each strip of ribbon one after the other, looping the last piece of ribbon to lock all the stitches. (see accompanying video). Repeat the steps over and over again, making sure to go around once for each strip of ribbon until the ribbons stack up to about 8 inches long.
At about 8 inches long of interlocked ribbons, bring the ends of the bracelet together and stitch with a threaded needle, securing all four sides. Trim off the excess ribbons.
The bracelet is now ready to wear. These type of bracelet do have a lot of stretching room and will fit most size wrist.
Watch The Video
With this tutorial & video, do you think bracelet will be hard or easy to make?See results without voting
Boxed Stitch Ribbon Bracelets Make Great Gifts
The first time you make this bracelet, it may turn out to be a little of a challenge, but don't let that deter you as the end result can be a lot rewarding. Make it a fun project by getting your friends involved. Make them in different color variations. They'll make great gifts for friends and cute little boys and girls.
Do you love to write? Do you have a passion for sharing with others what you know? You can do that by signing up right here on hub-pages. And guess what? you'll make some money doing it too. The world is waiting to hear from you.
Author: Comfort Babatola - ©2013
More by this Author
Now you can make your very own shoe clips ornaments, flowers, or blings that you can attach to your shoes. Perfect shoe flower for your wedding shoe. See how to.
With wood branding iron you can make clear markings of letters, numbers, or words in wood and other materials. These can be in form of your business name, logo, or acronyms
English Pasties or Meat Pies. With lots of wholesome veggies and meats on the inside, and the flaky pastry crust on the outside, what's not to love?