How to Construct a Decorative Duct Tape Chain
Make Easy Duct Tape Chains!
Duct Tape Chains are an easy waterproof party decoration. You can also use them to decorate your room or as the strap of a Duct tape purse. Making a Duct tape chain that twists looks hard but it is easy if you follow my simple directions. My 11 year old daughter Sophie and her friend invented these chains. After you have tried making these type of chains, you might want to experiment and make some of your own Duct Tape designs. Follow the easy step by step photos to make your own chains. For a great summer project, buy some Duct Tape and see what stuff from Duct Tape you can make!
Duct Tape Colors!
Materials for Duct Tape Chains
- Duct Tape (two colors is best)
- flat surface to work on, like the floor or a table
Step by Step Duct Tape ChainsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Making Duct Tape Chains that Twist
- Pull out 2 strips of Duct tape of two different colors that are same length. Usually 2-4 feet long (if you want a longer chain, you can attach them together using, guess what? Duct tape!)
- Lay each strip on a flat surface like the floor or a table. Carefully fold the sticky part of the duct tape up so that you have a long narrow strip. Press down tight. Do the same on both strips. If you mess up, pull them apart and try again, or cut off any extra sticky parts.
- Take the two strips and put the ends together so that the two strips form a big "L." Take a little bit of tape to hold them together.
- Fold the strip that is underneath over on top of where the two strips meet. Then fold the other strip down on top. Press to keep the strips in line.
- Keep folding down the strips on one side, then the other. When they are completely folded down, use a little bit of Duct tape to hold the ends together.
- Open up your Duct Tape Chain!
- If you want a longer chain, then make another one and fix them together using a small piece of matching Duct Tape. Easy!
What is Duct Tape?
During World War 2, the army needed something that could easily repair things that broke. They wanted something that could be waterpoof, was flexible and easy to use. A group at the Johnson and Johnson company came up with the idea of using medical tape and adding on different coatings, one which made the stick and another which makes the tape waterproof and flexible. They called this new tape "Duck Tape" because it was waterproof like ducks and because it could be easily cut.
After the war, the tape was used in construction for sealing ducts. The play on the two words "Duck" and "Ducts" made one manufacturer, Manco, to sell the tape as "Duck Brand Duct Tape."
Braided Duct Tape Necklace
Duct Tape Braid Chain
Another popular type of Duct tape chain is the braided chain. This one is great for bracelets and necklaces and is super simple to make. Here is how you do it:
- Take out 3 strips of Duct Tape that are the same length.
- Fold each one in half lengthwise (sticky sides together) to make 3 long strips.
- Use a small piece of Duct tape to hold all three together at one end.
- Braid the three pieces together.
- When the braid is done, attach the two ends together with another small piece of Duct Tape.
- These type of chains look great in necklaces and can also be used for the strap of a Duct Tape Purse.
Duct Tape Collecting
How many rolls of Duct Tape do you have?See results without voting
More by this Author
Creative ideas for making stuff from Duct Tape. Step by step instructions and videos.
Kids bored? These crazy craft and science experiment ideas will keep them busy. Step by step how to with pictures.
Washer overflowing? I explain five ways to fix it: installing a sink, using a lint catcher, regular use of enzymes to keep it clear, using a snake, and changing to a front-loading washer.