Create Your Own Headers and Banners: Photo and Video Tutorial
Step by step guide - How to Create Personalized Headers
Hi there! I've had such a great response from Bling My Hub! that I wanted to offer a bit more of a detailed tutorial on how to create your own personalized headers. Personalized headers are basically images you create on Power Point and save as a picture. The idea is to have fun with this and get creative.
- You will need an image that you will want to include on your header. (this is optional - I prefer png files as opposed to jpeg for this project. They are easier to use for layering. Png files do not have the whole square behind it - just the image. The yellow flower on steps 3-5 is a png. Notice how there isn't a square behind it on any of the screens.) You can try Free Photo Websites for Blogs and Hubs if you need some links to search for photos. Or, why not take your own photos?
- After you have chosen and saved your pictures you will need to open Power Point or Keynote for MAC users.
Choose a template with a center header line.
I like to use a Header Template as my guide. The reason I do this is it helps me keep the size and space of a long rectangle in perspective. Headers need to be created as a rectangle NOT as a square.
- insert the image that you chose and adjust the size to fit within the header box
- Add your text.
- Play with the fonts, colors and letter size.
- You may want to consider filling in the header box with a background color or you can leave it "clear" white.
Once you have customized your header you need to save the slide as a photo image. Depending on the edition of your program the exact steps will vary. (Right now you are saving the WHOLE slide as an image)
- Save the slide as a jpeg photo.
- Go ahead and save your Power Point for future use as a template - then close it and get it out of the way.
Your new photo jpeg file should open in your default photo library. Your editing tools should have a crop option.
- Once you have opened it as a photo check your toolbar for the CROP option.
- Select the crop option and drag the edges into a long rectangle around your original image and crop it. You want to make it as tight as possible.
- Once you have cropped you need to save the image AGAIN. This is the image you will upload to your photo capsule.
For blogs you can usually just click the photo option, upload the image and type around it. For HubPages you will need to choose the PHOTO Capsule.
- Click to add a photo capsule
- Open the photo capsule
- Click the choose photo bar
- Find your photo file from your computer's photo files. Make sure you open the rectangle image you cropped earlier and not the slide.
- Make sure you chose the photo capsule to go all the way across instead of attached and next to a text box.
- Arrange the photo box with your new header image above the text box you are featuring.
- VOILA! Admire your work :)
Sample #1 - you can click to enlarge
Sample #2 - you can click to enlarge
Sample #3 - you can click to enlarge
Did you know you can take your saved photo slides and make a video? You can use Power Point or Keynote to create your video slides!
Here is my tutorial on YouTube.
Here are a few dividers you may use. Just right click and save.
Be careful with your headers. They are still considered photos and you need to be careful with quality and wording. Here is a Learning Center link from HubPages for your review;
© 2011 Marisa Hammond Olivares
More by this Author
The health benefits of matcha: green tea powder are very impressive. Matcha is rich in anti-aging and cancer fighting antioxidants, catechins, theanine for mental alertness and provides cholesterol lowering benefits for...
Studies show that cherry juice has incredible benefits for nutrition, muscle health, and disease prevention. Why not sleep better, feel better, and live better?
Natural vasodilators. The nitrates and minerals in certain foods lower blood pressure. The foods that show the most effective results are high in potassium, magnesium, nitrates and calcium. Read for a food list of foods...