How to Make a Cute Snowball Character: Winter Crafts with Children
I love occasional teaching in terms of its flexibilty in my schedule but also because I am constantly finding new ideas for teaching that can be reused in other classes that I teach and also at home with my own children. I was recently in a lovely grade 2 class just before the Christmas break and happened upon this lovely snowball craft. Each child, with the help of their teacher, had created a snowball with personality. As well, they were writing a story about their snowball creation. Each child was extremely proud of their creation so I thought I would share this craft with the hubpage community.
This snowball person craft is very easy to make with minimal materials. It also has some interesting possiblities for application over the winter and Christmas season apart from the pure joy of creating a wonderful craft with personality.
Materials Required for Snowball Sock Craft
White Socks For The Snowman Body
Assembling the Materials
The following materials are required to complete this craft. As you can see, the list is not extensive and you may have some or all of the materials on hand.
- long, clean white sock
- uncooked rice
- googly eyes
- pom poms
- needle and thread
- craft glue
Putting Together the Snowball Sock PersonClick thumbnail to view full-size
Pipe Cleaners If You Have None On Hand
Assembling your Snow Ball
- Roll down the open end of the sock, creating a two to three inch cuff, to within 6 or 7 inches from the toe of the sock.
- Carefully fill the toe of the sock with rice. I kept the opening open with two fingers, filling the toe while holding it over the rice container.
- Set your snowball on the counter to make sure it is filled enough to create a round snowball.
- The cuff will become the hat of your snowball person. When you are satisfied that you have a round fat ball, carefully stitch the opening of the cuff closed, trying to keep the stitches invisible.
- Cut a pipecleaner to fit around the cuff as trim for the hat and glue into place.
- Glue a pom pom on top of the 'hat'.
- Glue a pom pom and googly eyes onto the 'snowball' to give your snowball person a face full of personality.
- Add a mouth using the remaining piece of pipecleaner.
- Other accesories could be added to create your own unique craft!
I can think of a number of fun uses for this interesting, yet easy craft. Create a snowball family to adorn a fireplace mantleplace. Each member of your family could have their own unique creation. Use this craft in the classroom as a story starter as in the class that inspired this hub. They could be created a name tag holders for a holiday party for children or for adults. Regardless of its use, this craft is a charming, easy project on a cold winter day to be enjoyed by children young and old!
More by this Author
Men wear jewelry too and the masculine tones of a hemp bracelet with simple wooden or plastic large hole beads make an attractive accessory for men. I have been making women’s jewelry for some time now utilizing...
ewelry making, when I first began, seemed a difficult craft to undertake. I initially took on the challenge of creating my own focal pieces of jewelry due to the cost and difficulty finding in retail just what I was...
Paper chromatography is a useful technique used to separate the components of a solution. Kids can learn some simple chemistry by watching or performing this process.