How to Crochet a Necklace With Beads
Examples of Crocheted Necklaces
Crochet With Beads
Creating crocheted necklaces with beads is something I thought I could never do. The first time I saw a beaded crochet necklace was at a craftshow. I was in awe of both their simplicity and complexity. The small dainty beads on a tiny crocheted cord that appeared to have taken hours to make, had a natural beauty that I found very appealing. I couldn't imagine stringing each bead as I crocheted; that would take a lot of time and patience.
Then I saw them at a quaint gift shop in Nagshead, and again at a hotel gift shop. They were sold in short choker-length styles as well as lengthy chains that could be looped around the neck a couple of times or wrapped around the wrist several times. They were strung with crystals, large seed beads, or gemstones. Each time I would see them, I would carefully observe the different styles and unique clasps, considering what I would want to do if I ever learned to make one.
Making A Beaded Crochet Necklace Is Easy
After trial and error, I was completely surprised to find that crocheting with beads was actually much easier and much faster than I ever could have imagined.
If you already know how to crochet, then making a crocheted necklace is just moments away. If you do not, you will need to practice making a chain, which is the first step in crochet. After you get comfortable with that, you will be ready to go! Tips for making a crochet necklace chain are below, along with a video that shows how to make a crochet chain.
How to Crochet a Chain
First Learn to Crochet a Chain
Watch the accompanying video to learn how to make a chain. You will want to practice this a bit before you begin your first crochet necklace with beads. In the video, yarn and a larger needle are used, which will make it easier for you to see. In the video, the instructor tells you to keep the chains loose, which would be perfect if you were crocheting a blanket, sweater or scarf. For necklaces, you will do the opposite. With each stitch, you will pull the thread closed, so that there are no gaps. Once you have mastered this step, follow the directions below to create your first crochet necklace with beads.
Small Crochet Hooks - This is the set that I have.
Materials You Will Need to Make a Crochet Necklace With Beads
- small crochet hook - A small hook is necessary for the thin thread or cording you will be using. At first it may seem uncomfortable, but with practice, it becomes natural in your hands and easy to use.
- beads - When choosing beads for a crochet necklace, the main thing to consider is the size of the hole in the bead. Be sure the bead you choose will fit easily onto the thread or cord. If using cotton threading, a bead threading needle may be used. If using cording, the end can be coated with a hardening substance such as glue or nail polish; this will enable you to slide the beads on more easily.
- jewelry threading glue - I always use a dab of this glue on the finished knots of my necklace. It will eventually come apart, if you do not. I have learned this the hard way. This tube of glue has a fine tube-shaped dispenser, allowing you to place glue on the exact spot where you want it. It will harden the material, so it is important to use it sparsely. I try to pull my knots through beads if possible, then place the glue inside the bead.
- scissors - A pair of scissors is needed to cut the cotton thread or nylon cord, once you have completed your crochet necklace.
- cotton thread or cording - I love the Cebelia crochet cotton pictured here from Amazon. It is just the right thickness and although it is not as sturdy as cotton, it has a firmness unlike sewing thread. This natural color also has a beautiful effect next to all types of beads. The nylon cord is my favorite because of its texture and it has a lovely sheen to it. However, you are limited in your choice of beads, as most beads will not fit onto this type of cord, because of its thickness.
Pinterest Board of Crocheted Jewelry
- Crochet Necklaces With Beads
Here is a board I created with pins of beautifully crafted crochet necklaces. Take a look and let the inspiration begin!
Crochet Necklace Hubs
- Free Crochet Jewelry Patterns
Find free crochet patterns for necklaces, rings, chokers and bracelets. Lots of free crochet jewelry patterns here.
- Casual and Elegant Beaded Crocheted Jewelry
Crocheted jewelry is fun and whimsical. Take a look at these handmade crocheted necklaces and try making one yourself.
Instructions for Making a Crochet Necklace With Beads
Step 1 - Gather all materials. Begin stringing beads onto cord, and continue until all beads are strung.
Step 2 - Loop end of cord around crochet hook to create a knot. Chain 5 times.
Step 3 - Pull a bead towards the hook, as close as possible. Chain stitch aroung the bead so that bead is pulled into the chain. Chain 3 times.
Step 4 - Repeat step 3 until desired length of necklace is achieved. Chain 10+ times (depending on size of clasp). Pull end towards last bead and slip stitch in loop of bead.
Step 5 - Cut thread 5 inches from slip stitch. Tie knot and pull thread through bead if possible.
Step 6 - Place dab of glue inside last bead on both ends of bead or directly on knot.
Step 7 - Place thread through clasp bead. Pull thread around to bottom of bead and loop around base, tying a knot. Pull end of thread back through bead if possible.
Step 8 - Place dab of glue inside clasp bead on both ends of bead or directly on knot.
Step 9 - Wait 10 minutes until dry, then clip thread ends from beads.
Step 10 - Gently stretch necklace to remove any kinks and to shape necklace.
More by this Author
Have you ever thrown away an old shower curtain? Believe it or not, an old shower curtain can become a very useful item. Next time, instead of throwing one out, clean it and reuse it.
Learn how to make 3 kinds of earring, using funky beads. With only a few simple tools, you will find out just how easy it is to make your own stylish earrings.
If you are trying to get a tan using an indoor tanning facility, there are several things you can do to achieve a beautiful bronze tan.