How to Easily Decorate your Chuck Taylors or Canvas Shoes
Decorate your shoes?
There are so many ways to decorate canvas shoes. You can personalize them online, get them painted by a professional, color them with Sharpies, paint them yourself, stick things to them, and probably do a zillion other things I don't even know about.
But if you have very little artistic talent and you want something unique, the options are often on the costly side.
While trying to solve this dilemma myself, I came up with this method, and it works pretty darn well!
The best part is that you need little to no artistic talent, and you can still have Bella, Edward, Harry Potter, the Grinch, Eeyore, a photo of your pet, or your favorite Manga characters on your shoes by following these simple steps.
You Will Need:
- canvas shoes
- tacky glue
- computer-printable iron-on transfers
- an image design you like (as a digital image)
- a piece of thin white cotton, such as muslin
- acrylic paints, if desired, in complementary colors
Step One: Print
Shrink the image to a size that will fit on the side of the shoe.
Print it on the transfer paper, making sure to set the print to "mirror image" so that all letter and designs come out on the transfer opposite than usual. They will become righted when ironed on later. Follow direction in transfer paper package.
Step Two: Get it on the fabric
- Cut out your design with a bit of border around it from the transfer paper.
- Place on the white cloth fabric.
- Iron the design onto the white fabric, following the iron-on transfer package instructions. This will most likely require you to cover the transfer with a light cloth or towel.
- Cut design out of white fabric and transfer paper, cutting off the rest of the border from the transfer paper.
Step Three: Stick it to the shoe!
- Apply a generous coat of Tacky glue to the back of your transfer / muslin "patch."
- Stick it on the shoe in the desired location. Smooth out all bubble, and wipe away excess glue around the patch. Make sure the edges have glue under them so they don't lift up.
- Wait for glue to dry. Fabrics stuck together with Tacky Glue are extremely hard to peel apart!
Step Four: Decorate and Wear!
If you want to, decorate the rest of the shoe with acrylic paints. Use complementing colors.
If you have no artistic skill, make dots, swirls or lines.
Have fun and make them as unique as you are!
(note: avoid getting these completely soaking wet)
More by this Author
Wood pellets, sometimes called wood stove fuel pellets or pellet fuel (and brand names like Feline Pine cat litter), can make a great replacement for regular cat litter, and have many advantages over the traditional...
Here's how to build a cheap, easy, free-standing or attached dog or cat gate of any height you want. Use practically no tools ; very few skills needed. All supplies easily accessible.
A dog's tail can become sprained from too much exercise. The condition is called "cold tail," "lab tail," "broken wag," and many other names.