How to Fold an Origami Airplane
How to Make a Basic Paper Airplane
The basic paper airplane many of us learn how to fold in elementary school is called a dart plane. Here is a refresher course for how to make this simple paper toy:
- Start with a sheet of letter sized paper. Fold your paper in half vertically. Unfold.
- Fold the left and right corners in to meet the center crease.
- Fold the left and right corners in to meet the center crease once more.
- Fold the paper in half.
- Fold the open side down so it touches the folded center. This forms the first wing of the paper airplane.
- Flip the plane over and repeat. This forms the second wing of your origami airplane.
- If desired, add a strip of tape or a staple to the nose of the plane to make it fly better.
How to Make a Paper Airplane from Square Paper
Most paper airplanes are made from rectangular paper, but you can also fold an airplane using square paper if you want. For an easy paper airplane that can be folded from square origami paper, check out my tutorial on About Origami.
About Origami also has an article with tips to help you troubleshoot common folding mistakes so your airplanes will fly better. See How to Fold the Perfect Paper Airplane for details.
How to Make the Fastest Flying Paper Airplane
How to Make the Longest Flying Paper Airplane
More Paper Airplane Ideas
Free Paper Airplane Designs is a great site for learning more about how to make paper airplanes. The site has PDF downloads with instructions for 15 common airplane designs and printable paper with folding guidelines to make it easier to recreate the planes on your own.
If you're looking for printable patterned papers, Tammy Yee has downlaods for an origami eagle plane and a space shuttle plane. These would be fun projects to fold with young children.