How to Make a Clay Terra Cotta Flower Pot Candy Dish: Step by Step Instructions
Candy Jars...Cookie Jars...Goodie Jars...
Turn an ordinary terra-cotta flower pot into a wonderful candy dish, cookie jar, goodie jar, planter, or even a fish tank! This tutorial gives step by step instructions on how to make it happen. Involve the kids because it is a fun project for the whole family, so keep reading to explore the details that encompass this wonderful fun experience.
Teachers: fill one with a gold fish for the classroom to enjoy
Secretaries: fill one with chocolates for the office
Executives: fill one with mints for those long meetings
Mothers: fill one with cookies for the kids
Doctors Office: fill one with a plant
Seamstress: fill one with notions
There are so many possibilities - just use your imagination!
- 8" Terra Cotta/ceramic/clay flower pot
- 8" Bubble glass bowl
- 6" Ceramic/clay saucer
- Wooden round knob (I prefer the large)
- Spray paint (color of your choice)
- White acrylic paint
- Acrylic paints (your choice - you can lighten them with the white)
- paint brush(s)
- glue for glass/ceramic - make sure it is waterproof
- painters pallet (plate works great too)
- Polyurethane (if you desire)
- Candy of your choice
Visual InstructionClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Spray paint the flower pot and saucer - let dry
- Paint circles (to represent gumballs) on the flower pot with acrylic paints - let dry
- Paint white mark to represent light hitting the circle (with acrylic paint) - let dry
- Paint knob (you could have done this in step 1 if using the same color as pot) - this is also when you would polyurethane if you desire (if you do - the jar can be washed without it getting messed up)
- Put a generous amount of glue on bottom of glass bowl and top (really the bottom) of pot
- Put the glass and pot together - position into place - let fry according to manufacture on glue bottle
- Put a generous amount of glue on bottom of wooden knob and put in center of saucer
- Fill dish with candy
Congratulations! You have created a candy dish out of a flower pot. They are so simple to make and people love them because they are unique in their own way, not to mention versatile. Just use your imagination and create any design or size you want.
- Paint the base color all at one time
- Use Polyurethane spray so the jar can be protected and washed
- Paint the knob a different color than the saucer to make it "pop"
- Use a waterproof glue
- Only use smooth pots
- Always wash the glass bowl before applying glue
Have a Project Idea of Your Own?
- Signup For HubPages
Join HubPages and write what you like, know about, or simply want to share. It's free to join and you make money for sharing! So, get started and have fun.
- Candy Dish
- Fish Bowl
- Jar for Raffle Tickets
- Cookie Jar
- Catch All (my daughter has one in her room for hair bows and clips)
- Sewing notions
- Change Jar
- Purple looks great on small pots
- Great gift for teachers
- Use stencils or stamps if you can't paint well
- Always let paint dry between applications or you will have a mess!
- Use small wooden knobs for small pots
More by this Author
Beaded ID beverage hoops are affordable handmade gifts that are perfect to give for all occasions. Easy to assemble with beads, wire hoops, pliers, and charms. Wrap them up with a few wine glasses and you have the...
Have you run out of ideas for the girls on the holiday list? Do you have a combination of styles you are dealing with? Perhaps you have one that is the hippie enthusiasts and another who is the nature lover. Or, what...
Growing up in my house was like growing up with Emily Post or Miss Manners. You just knew etiquette – it was part of your legacy. It wasn’t a choice. So, with that, you can imagine that you had to give into...