How To Design Mosaic Table Top with Ceramic Tiles
How to Use Ceramic Tiles to Create and Design a Mosaic Tile Table Top.
If you have an old table you do not like why not turn it into something beautiful by creating a mosaic design on the top.
It is easy to do and I show you how in this article.
Mosaic Table Top Design
A New Table Top with Ceramic Tiles
Here are my step by step instructions to create a unique Mosaic Tile Design for an old table top
- Sponges and clothes
- Spirit level
- Ceramic tiles in various colours
- Tile glue
- Tile Sealer
Step 1: Preparing the table
- Paint the legs of the table whatever colour you want.
- Also paint any sides that will not be covered with the mosaic
- Leave to dry completely, preferably at least twenty four hours
- Clean the table top thoroughly and make sure it is dry and even
Where to Buy and Source the Ceramic Tiles
- They are too expensive to buy in groups of five or six and you would not need so many of the same design or colour.
- You can buy tiles from stores that have some odd ones over. These are usually put aside in a sale box so are much cheaper and sold individually.
- Some shops have samples on display that they either sell cheaply or give away.
- You can let your family and friends know what you plan to do and ask them have they any left over tiles in their garage or attic.
- Car boot and garage sales are a great place to buy cheap tiles from.
- An important rule is to make sure all the tiles you get are the same depth.
- This is needed so that the table has a level surface when finished.
- The colour, shape and design can be different.
Step 2: Preparing the Ceramic Tiles
- It is up to you how large or small you want your tiles to be for the mosaic.
- If it is your first one then do a mixture of sizes. You will know after your first mosaic is finished which you prefer to work with.
- Use a hammer to break the tiles.
- Tapping them lightly will cause them to break into pieces. You will get used to how much pressure is needed as you go along.
- Keep all the same colour tile pieces in a separate box as this will make it easier when you go to lay them out for your design. Or you could put them in separate groups if you have no boxes.
Step 3: Designing your Mosaic Table Top
- Once the tiles are broken up into pieces lay some out on the table and create your design.
- You can put the same colours together or mix them in rows. Make a shape with one colour tile or straight lines. This is your table so you decide.
Mosaic Tile Design
How to Glue the Tiles
- When you have laid out the tiles and are happy with the design then you can start to glue them onto the table top.
- I found it easier to place the tile onto the glue and then on to the table. It is less messy than putting the glue on the tile and then putting it on the table.
- This is the hard part because if you have a large table like I did to cover this will take a lot of time. There were two of us doing it so this helped.
- Make sure that the tiles are even otherwise you will have trouble later.
- Place the spirit level over a group of tiles you have stuck onto the table at intervals to make sure the tiles are even.
- Leave the tiles to dry completely for at least twenty four hours.
Step 4: Grouting the Mosaic Table
- Mix the grout with water as per instructions on the bag.
- Use a brush or plastic scraper to add the grouting to the table top.
- Only cover a few tiles at a time or it will dry out before you can spread it properly.
- Smooth over the grouting in between the gaps of the tiles. Try to make it as even as possible.
- Then continue around the tiles until the table top is finished.
- Go to the place you started to use the grouting and begin to clean the tiles.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge and wipe a few tiles clean.
- Then use the plastic scraper to remove the excess water and most of the grouting.
- Do this for all the tiles.
- Get a clean damp clothe or baby wipes if you have some and do a final clean and polish of the tiles on the whole table.
Finishing the Grouting on the Mosaic Table
- Now that the grouting has been left to dry for twenty four hours you need to check the table
- Use the spirit level to make sure the tiles are even.
- There will be some areas where the space between the tiles is uneven.
- Mix some more grouting but this time make it thinner
- Spread the grout over the tiles again paying attention to any uneven areas.
- Clean the tiles as you did above and leave to dry again for twenty four hours
Step 5: Sealing the Tiles on the Mosaic Table
- Mix the sealer as per instructions n the packet. Mine was five parts water to one part sealer.
- Use a clean paste brush to cover the mosaic with the sealer. It is very watery so make sure you do not leave puddles in the gaps.
- Leave to dry for 3 hours and then add another coat of sealer.
- This will protect the mosaic table top and make it look nicer
- When this is dry completely your mosaic table top if finished.
Sealing the Ceramic Tile Design
How to Create a Mosaic Table Top with Ceramic Tiles
Now that you have made your first mosaic table top you will have the experience and knowledge to create other mosaic furniture.
The possibilities are endless. Once to start to do a mosaic piece you will want to do it on something else. Here are a few suggestions.
I already have three other pieces of furniture lined up to add Mosaic Designs on them.
You could turn that old sideboard or drawers into a lovely piece of modern furniture by adding fresh paint and a mosaic.
If you have a dull and plain wall in the garden or yard you can create a mosaic on it to give it fresh life and colour.
What about picture frames or old mirrors?
These too could be used to make lovely Mosaic Art.
All images are the copyright of L.M.Reid
Update: I have recently finished creating two more Mosaic Table Designs
I had two rusted stools in the shed that had not been used for years. I decided to make them into tables with a Mosaic Design on each.
I have written another article about these and you can see how I got on by clicking the link below
How to Turn this old Table Top into a Beautiful Mosaic Table
More by this Author
Best online Diary Calendar for 2017 . Calendar Templates to Print. Diaries, journals and calendars
Best 2017 Calendars to print online now! Free Calendars to Download for to customize and print
How To Create a Facebook Page for your business. Promote and advertise your business online Free