How to Make a Necklace out of Your Wisdom Teeth
For people who are into freaky bizarre jewelry
The first time I heard the concept, I was totally aghast. Why would anyone do such a thing? But people who have gone ahead and made wisdom teeth jewerly are ones who didn't want to part with their tiny "jewels" after removing them. The surgery is a painful and expensive experience and many want to safe keep their wisdom teeth as a reminder of the same. Some argue, if there are different types of tooth necklaces out there like shark tooth necklace, what's wrong in sporting a human wisdom tooth necklace? While some others like to keep human teeth for crazy or totally different reasons like in the case of the celebrity Ke$ha. If you are into freaky jewelry and are looking forward to creating your wisdom teeth necklace, this page will come in handy. Don't just remove your wisdom teeth to make jewelry. On the contrary, you can make such a necklace when you have to get your wisdom teeth removed for some reason or so. You can let your doctor know that you would like to take your wisdom teeth home after the operation and not to discard them off. Once you have your wisdom teeth you can follow the steps given below to make a nice wisdom teeth necklace.
Drilling vs Wire Wrapping
Some people like drilling the wisdom teeth to make small holes in them for necklaces but the wire wrapping method is most recommended. After boiling, your wisdom teeth can get really soft and is prone to damage when drilled into.
Making your own wisdom teeth necklace
- Once you get your wisdom teeth, clean them thoroughly using an old toothbrush, some anti bacterial soap and hot water. The roots can be easily removed using tweezers if they haven't been fully developed yet.
- If you want to whiten up the teeth, use hydrogen peroxide. Keep your teeth in this solution for some time till they reach the desired color.
- Take a pan and fill half of it up with water. Boil your teeth in this. This break downs any extra flesh attached to the teeth and also kills germs and bacteria.
- After boiling it for around 30-40 minutes, off the flame and let the wisdom teeth cool down for some time.
- When the teeth have cooled down, use paper towels to wipe them clean.
- Clean the wisdom teeth again with the old toothbrush and some paste.
- In the case of wire wrapping, use a long wire and wrap it around a wisdom tooth. You can refer the video given below on how exactly you can wrap the wire. Repeat for each tooth. You can then string them to a thread or any chain of your choice using a jump ring. In case you are going for drilling, drill a small hole into the teeth using a dremel slowly and steadily. Then you can use a metal jump ring through the hole you drilled. You can then attach this ring to a necklace or chain.
- Your wisdom teeth necklace is ready!
Wire wrapping a human tooth
You can also try this 'cleaner' method to wrap a teeth
A shark's teeth has been shown here but the method can also be used to wire wrap a human wisdom tooth. I prefer this wrapping style than the first one.
More wire wrapping techniques
In case you don't want to wire a teeth directly to a thread or chain for the necklace, you can always use a vial into which you can insert a tooth and preserve it with clear wax. You can then attach this vial to the metal chain or thread instead. Preferably a plastic vial is a safe bet but I have seen people use glass vials as well with cork tops.
Hanging Loop Vial
The hanging loop in these vials makes it easier to use them for a necklace piece.
Make sure to fasten the chain to the cork stop properly if you are using a glass vial.
Even celebrities do it!
Ke$ha apparently is into human teeth necklaces too (apart from teeth bra and teeth earrings, believe it or not). But the necklace does not adorn only her teeth but that of her fans' too! How bizarre is that? "I would love to wear a piece of my fans' bodies on me", she quotes. This has lead her to collect more than 500 human teeth from her fans. The necklace also sports some of her own baby teeth.
Did you know?
In mid 19th century, tribal leaders would wear human teeth necklaces which adorned a large number of teeth from different people possibly their victims or enemies. A necklace can contain up to 130 teeth. It is apparent that such necklaces were coveted by leaders and that it symbolized power to the wearer.
Take a moment to vote
Would you ever consider making a necklace out of your own wisdom teeth?See results without voting
More by this Author
Detailed instructions on how to cancel car or vehicle hypothecation at an RTO in India
A look into my personal favorite Frozen birthday cakes. Also get some ideas on how to create your own Disney themed Frozen birthday cake from scratch.
Yummy kebabs along with their recipes.