How to Make a Rose Petal / Flower Filled Tutu (Sewing and Non Sewing Directions)
Every little princess loves a feminine tutu. Rose petal tutus are easy to make and the supplies cost very little money. They can be worn for every day dress up, birthday parties, dance classes, with a favorite outfit, or as part of a fairy Halloween costume.
You Will Need:
-3 times your child’s waist in inches of tulle in your favorite color. Small pre-made rolls of 6” tulle are generally too small. (If your child’s waist is 20”, you will need 60” of tulle). Then measure from your child's waist to their knee and add an inch for sewing. This will be the length of doubled material you will need for the length.
-40 Silk flower petals to match tulle (you can use the prepackaged kind or you can cut them from a silk flower of your choosing).
-50 Foil Prints or pieces of shiny metallic ribbon for sparkle (optional)
-A roll of ¾” elastic
-1 roll of coordinating satin ribbon for trim
-1 large flower for decoration (optional)
-Sewing machine (or you can choose the no sew tutu option).
Sewing a Tutu
Sew a Petal Filled Tutu
- Unfold the tulle and lay it flat on a large surface. Lift up one cut end of the tulle and fold it evenly with the other cut end. Pin the two pieces together right side facing down (You will turn it inside out when it is sewn). Sew this section with a sewing machine.
- Sew a second seam parallel to the first seam, wide enough to fit your elastic band through.
- Match up the open ends of your tube, and sew a seam starting from the bottom of the skirt. Stop your seam 2 inches from the top, leaving an opening for inserting the rose petals and the elastic.
- Insert your desired amount of petals and sparkles inside the tutu. For a little girl, a half a box of pre-packaged petals is sufficient.
- Insert elastic band into the second sewn seam. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
- Finish sewing the seam to enclose the elastic.
- Trim any loose threads and flip the tutu inside out so the seams are hidden inside.
- Sew the large flower to the top center of the tutu. If using decorative satin ribbon, it will be sewn to the tutu under the flower.
Make a No Sew Flower Tutu
To Make a No Sew Flower Tutu
- If you don't have a sewing machine but want to make a flower petal tutu, you can create a no sew tutu and glue small flowers to the inside of the tulle. While the look is a little different, it is just as adorable.
- Measure the amount of tulle the same way as described above. Lay tulle out across a large flat surface with fold toward you. Cut 6-inch wide strips using all of the tulle with scissors. These sections will be tied to the elastic so they don’t have to be perfectly cut.
- Measure your child’s waist and cut elastic to this measurement plus one inch for fastening. Make a ring from the elastic with a one inch overlap. Make a “belt” circle with this piece of elastic. Staple the elastic on the inside. Make sure no jagged edges are showing. The elastic can also be hand sew to make it more durable.
- Unfold the 6 inch strips of tulle. Center a piece of tulle on the elastic and fold again to make matching two even pieces. Tie a half knot with the knot on the front of the elastic. Do this with each piece of tulle. Alternate colors if using more than one color.
- Fluff the tutu. At this point your can add a decorative flower and ribbon to the front of the tutu with glue (or hand sew for durability). Flowers and petals can be glued to the outside of the tutu.
- You can also double the material used in step one and cut 6" sections that are twice as long. Tie each section to the waist band with the fold at the bottom of the tutu. This will make pockets in which you glue flowers or sparkles to give the illusion of a rose petal filled tutu.
Other Fun and Creative Ideas:
- Design a Girl's Dream Bedroom With a Carousel Horse Theme
- Make a Vintage Style Inspired Decoupage Wooden Tray
A guide on how to make a vintage wooden serving tray with decoupage scrapbook paper. Also includes guides on how to refinish wood and metal antiques for beginners.
- How to Create Vintage Inspired Jewelry With Resin and Scrapbook Paper
More by this Author
An instructional article on how to decorate decoupage style with paper or wooden words and letters. Great idea for a child's nursery!
Detailed instructions with photos on how to make coasters from ceramic tile decorated with napkins or your favorite photos with resin or polyurethane.
An in-depth look at the kind of woman who seduces a husband and why men cheat with this woman.