How to crochet a purse bag with fabric strips
Easy to follow instructions and supply list
2 to 4 yards of woven fabric
large crochet hook
buttons and/or purse handles
1. Use scissors to cut slits into fabric 1/2" to 3/4" apart along one edge of fabric.
2. Start at the top of each slit in the fabric and tear/rip it into strips until all of the fabric is stripped.
3. Tie each strip together with the next to form a long strip. Rolling as you tie the strips will keep them from tangling and make for a nice ball of stripped fabric to work with.
4. Crochet a chain the length preferred for the width of the bottom of the purse or bag. Between 20 and 30 stitches are what were used on the pictured examples.
5. Double back on the second to the last stitch and start a double crochet across the length of the chain stitch. When the end is reached continue double crocheting around the end and up the other side of the chain stitch. Continue until the desired height of the purse is reached.
6a. For the purse with the over flap and the shoulder strap.
When the desired height of the bag is reached stop at the corner of the bag and double back with the double crochet skipping a stitch each time to create the triangular flap. When the tip is reached make a few chain stitches and reconnect to create a hole for a button that can be attached. For the shoulder strap use crochet stitches to attach a new strip to the corner of the bag and start double crocheting along the top edge of the bag two or three stitches depending on the desired width of the the shoulder strap. Continue to double back the double crochet to create a long strap of desired length and attach at the opposite corner, being sure that the strap is straight, with two or three crochet stitches.
6b. For the purse with the handles.
Continue the double stitching to the desired start of the handle on the top of the bag. Crochet several chain stitches, more than the stitches below to form and arch and reattach at the desired end of the handle, repeat on the other side. Go completely around the top of the bag again with the double stitching to reinforce the handle.
Here is a Great Hub on How to Crochet
- How to Crochet
A beginners guide to crocheting with pictures and videos. Learn how to make a slipknot, hold a crochet hook, and make a chain. This guide also teaches the four most basic crochet stitches: single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, and tr
- How to Crochet With Scraps of Fabric or Plastic | eHow.com
How to Crochet With Scraps of Fabric or Plastic. Anyone who can make a single crochet can make a variety of pretty, practical, washable projects from scraps of fabric. Rag rugs, crocheted from strips of new or recycled fabric,...
More by this Author
Easy project for scrap fabric.
Simple steps to crochet any size Bikini top.
Cutting your own hair saves time and money.