How to make a Jewellery Box from Paper
Materials required for the project:
1) Old newspaper sheets
2) Glue or white adhesive
4) Acrylic paint (any color of your choice)
5) Brushes - 2
6) An old cardboard box (use is as a base for the box)
7) Glitter or beads (Optional)
My son comes from school and informed me that his teacher has given him a project to make some useful item from waste. This was given as a part of teaching them about recycling and reusing available resources.
I always enjoy making things from paper and we planned to make a jewellery box. We had nearly 10 days to submit the project. We can make lot of things using this idea.
1) I asked my son to take out some old newspaper sheets. We would've used 2 or 3 days newspaper. Separate each sheet and half them.
2) Mix some white adhesive to little water and keep it ready. You might require a broad brush to apply the glue mixture.
3) Take each half sheet and fold them once. Now roll it tightly. Apply glue mixture a little towards the end of rolling so that the paper roll remains intact.Repeat the process to make nearly 20- 30 rolls of same thickness. The number of rolls and their length depends upon the size of the box that you plan to make.
4) Allow the paper rolls to dry well. It might take a day or two to dry completely.
5) Cut the edges to make them even.
6) Paint them with a color of your choice. We used green and brown paint, to give the paper rolls the look of half dried bamboo sticks. We first painted light brown and then spray painted green above it after drying. Allow it to dry well.
7) Take the cardboard box. Using glue, stick the rolls one by one to form a bottom layer.Then form the sides. And finally the lid portion. Keep it for drying.
8) We cut 3 small pieces of paper roll and stuck on the lid to form a handle or a grip. This structure eases the opening and closing of the box.
9) The box is ready now. You can decorate it using glitter or beads or flower, etc.
Converting waste material into useful item.
More by this Author
The other day, my son came from school and told that his teacher had given a holiday project of making something useful from the waste materials.His school was getting closed for Dushera holidays for 10 days.We started...
Kids, nowadays always comes up with some school projects and we have to sit with them or help them or at times, even do the project completely by ourselves. Well, this was a rather difficult project.
Here's a detailed description of the history of the famous Kachamkurissi Temple of Kollengode, Palakkad of Kerala State of India.