Step by step instructions : How to make a pompom
How to make a pompom
Instructions on how to make a pom pom which can be made by both adults and children. It may just keep the children happy on a rain filled holiday
These are very easy to make, they can be used to adorn woolly hats or just suspended on knitting wool. The make great entertainment for cats who try to catch them
- You need cardboard, scissors, yarn oddments and a tapestry needle.
- If you are making for very young children omit the needle.
- Cardboard can be found in almost every kitchen cupboard, breakfast cereal boxes are ideal.
- If you have a compass draw a circle with a smaller circle in the middle.
- If you don’t have a compass looks through your cupboards and find two circular products, one about 1.25 inches smaller than the other, and draw around them.
- If you are making for young children you can use a much bigger hole so that they do not have to use a needle, but be warned you have to be very accurate when tying them together.
- You need two circles of card and you need to thread the knitting wool/yarn through both of them as if they were one.
- Thread the needle with the yarn and wind it evenly around the card. Use only enough yarn on your needle that you are comfortable with.
- If you use too much yarn you can find that it gets into tangles and knots and is really unmanageable when you are pulling it through the hole.
- When you need to join in new yarn try and wrap the new yarn over the last end of the old yarn, by doing this it means that there is no need to tie a knot and join the yarn which might make the pom pom bobbily.
- Work around the card evenly- covering initially the card and then the layers of yarn with further layers of yarn. Keep threading the yarn through until the hole is no longer visible. This means that the pom pom is nearly done. I find that they work better if they have a solid centre so I continue threading through with the needle until I really cant get any more yarn through the hole.
If you want to make a totally random coloured pom pom you need to thread the wool through and wrap around in an uneven pattern- the easiest way is just to change yarn colour every time you have used up the yarn on your needle.- this causes a speckled effect once the pom pom is finished.
Once we have the pom pom totally wrapped you need to take a pair of scissors and carefully insert them between the two pieces of card. Snip very carefully the wool along the edge of the card- all the way around so that eventually you have strands of yarn held together by the two pieces of cardboard.
- Taking a length of yarn wrap it several times around the centre of the pom pom , knotting it at every turn- i try to knot mine at least half a dozen times.
Carefully snip into the card and peel both pieces of card off the pom pom.
Hold the pom pom up in the air and gently trim any odd strands- however carefully you have worked there always seem to be odd lengths of yarn.
Your pom pom is now complete.
For the child's pom pom with the big hole, wrap the yarn around the hole so that it covers for about four times around the circle. Taking great care follow the above instructions to snip and tie the pom pom.
Other knitting hubs
More by this Author
use this pattern to knit a cardigan for a new baby
I was asked by my niece to make a pram blanket for her first baby. My niece loves brown in all its shades, particularly chocolate brown. Off to the Yarn store I went for the perfect Knitting wool- They didn't have a...
This is a long article but it will give you a good understanding of the rulers of England and now the United Kingdom from 1066 to the present date.