How to Make Wire Bookmarks: Do it Yourself Wire Craft
Picture of a Wire Bookmark in a Book
Wire Bookmarks are Easy to Make
You can learn how to make wire bookmarks with this DIY hub. Wire bookmarks are a fun, easy, craft project that doesn't take any complicated tools or special knowledge. If you already know how to make wire bookmarks, you might be able to pick up some tips.
These wire bookmarks are functional, easy to make, creative, and inexpensive. I created these for my wife as a gift. The bookmarks make a great gift for anyone who still likes to read old fashioned books. Customize them to your own ideas. Each one will cost you just a few cents to make. All you need is some kind of wire and needle nose pliers. Copper is interesting to work with and gains character with age.
Wire Bookmark Supplies
How to Make Wire Bookmarks
1. Cut a piece of wire with your needle nose pliers about ten inches long.
2. Pinch one end with the tip of the pliers and twist the wire around the end of the closed pliers.
3. Once you have made a few good twists around the pliers, pull the pliers out and flatten the wire twist to appear as a spiral.
4. Now repeat the process at the other end of the wire too. Flatten it down also, and make it perpendicular to the first. This is so that one spiral will be inside the book and one will rest on the outside of the book’s spine. To get a neat effect, you can hammer the wire flat.
5. Grab a book and wrap the straight part over the top and down the spine. It is a good idea to put less of a pattern on the outside of the book spine and more pattern inside the book; this helps balance the bookmark as it naturally hangs in the page it is marking.
Twisting a Wire Bookmark
Perfecting a Wire Spiral
Wire Bookmark Design
The bookmarks stay in books well because they are basically clips that run down the spine. You can make the design as elaborate as you want by twisting in different directions. You can give the outside part some 3-d effect, attach beads, or paint your bookmarks. There are many ways to customize them. Let me know if you try this and come up with new ideas.
One way you can make your wire bookmark is by hammering your wire flat after creating a unique design. Try making designs in the wire bookmarks that are different shapes such as guitars, flowers, etc.
Two Simple Wire Bookmarks
Benefits of Wire Bookmarks
Wire bookmarks have some advantages over the other types of bookmarks that could include cardboard, paper, or even plastic.
- Durable: Wire is extremely strong and durable when compared to other materials that you might use to keep your page in a good book.
- Stylish: Wire bookmarks look better than plain paper clips and can be taken out of the
- Fun to make: Wire is fun to work because of the bending and ability to get creative with a simple material.
- Wire is Inexpensive: If wire is bought at a department store from a hardware department, a large amount can be bought at once.
Wire Bookmark in a Book
Wire Bookmarks as Gifts
Would you want a wire bookmark as a gift?See results without voting
More by this Author
The page includes pictures of flowers, animals, and butterflies that you can print for free to your own printer and color for fun. All pictures are actual photographs that have been converted into coloring pages.
Taking your own 3D pictures is not rocket science. All you need is a little understanding of how 3D works, which is only possible with two views. This is why we have two eyes, so we can see in 3D and have depth...
Sympathy card messages can be difficult to write. These are many examples of sympathy messages for a loss. Use these to help you comfort and encourage a grieving person.