Art Lessons For Kids - Create a Van Gogh Vase
Children's Van Gogh Masterpieces
Create Your Own Masterpiece
Vincent Van Gogh was a Dutch painter whose work was considered Post - Impressionist. He is known for his vivid colors and emotional impact. Some of his most famous works are of sunflowers. (See example photo below).
This lesson will explore how to make a vase with flowers using bright colors and texture.
This lesson will teach children how to: Recreate Shapes, Tear Paper, Cut Paper, Glue, Use Patterns, Create Highlights, Make Texture.
What You Will Need for Your Masterpiece
- Colored Background Paper
- Colored Paper for the Vase (We used Yellow)
- Green Paper for Stems
- Colored Tissue Paper for petals
- Colored Paper for Flower Center
- Colored Paper for the Table (We used Black or Dark Red)
- Small Beans/ Glitter/ Rice/ Beads/ Sequins
- White Chalk
Creating your Van Gogh Vase of Flowers
- Lay your background paper flat on a table
- Decide how much table you need in your picture, cut it out and set it on the paper (Don't glue yet!)
- Draw out your vase - small children may need help to make the vase large enough.
- Cut out your vase, but don't glue it yet.
- Cut out your stems using green paper.
- Assemble the table, vase and stems down as you would like them
- Glue them down in place
- Cut or tear the petals from multi-colored tissue (try get Triangle shapes)to
- Glue down the the tissue paper, you can leave the tips unglued to make them appear more three-dimensional
- Brush a thin layer of glue onto the circle shapes and sprinkle on the beans, rice, glitter, sequins or beads to create texture.
- Use white chalk to create a highlight on the vase
More by this Author
Play with patterns, positive and negative space!
A step-by-step for kids to learn how to make a mask inspired by Picasso!
I've been teaching oil painting classes for about six years now. Every student has their strengths, but one thing that most of them have in common is they get stumped when it comes to which colors to use. This is a...