Easy Homemade Knitted Christmas Slippers
Whether you are knew to knitting or an experienced crafter, knitted slippers or bed socks make quick and easy gifts for Christmas, winter birthdays and other occasions. Since it doesn't take much yarn to complete a pair of slippers you can use all of those leftovers from otherknitting and crochet projects. You will only need about six ounces of 4-ply yarn for a pair of adult sized slippers.
Knitted slippers may also be called bed socks or slipper socks. They are light enough to wear to bed to keep your feet warm in the wintertime but can also be worn around the house. If you have hardwood or tile floors you will need to add some fabric paint or other material to the sole of the slippers to prevent slips and falls.
While the knitted slippers are an easy project for a beginner, you should be familiar with knitting terms and abbreviations. It's a good idea to make a scarf or two before moving on to this project.
Basic Knitted Slippers Pattern
These comfy slippers are knitted with two strands of yarn held together. This gives them extra warmth and padding to keep you comfortable on those chilly floors. Use two different colors of yarn for added color and design.
You don't need many supplies for slippers.
- 6 ounces of 4 ply yarn
- Knitting needles in a size 8
- Darning needle
- Holding two strands of yarn together cast on 29 stitches
- Row one: Knit 9, purl 1, knit 9 all the way across
- Row two: Knit across
- Row three: Knit 9, purl 1,knit 9 all the way across
Repeat the pattern the project is about eight inches long. Start the toe:
- Row 1: Knit 1, purl 1, knit 1 – repeat all the way across
- Row 2: Purl 1, knit 1, purl 1 – repeat all the way across
This forms the ribbing on the toe. Repeat these two rows until the ribbing measures four inches
- Next row: Decrease one stitch. You should have 28 stitches on your needle.
- Next row: Knit 2 together all the way across the row.There should be 14 stitches on your needle.
- Cut the yarn but leave 12 inches of tail. You will use this to sew the toe seam.
Finish the Slippers
- Put the end of yarn through a darning needle and feed the needle through all the stitches. Pull the stitches to close the toe of the slipper
- Sew up the toe until you get to the garter stitch portion of the slipper. Knot the yarn and weave in the ends
- Sew up the heel seam
- Repeat to make the other slipper.
There are hundreds of different types of yarns available. Once you feel confident about making the slippers you can begin using different types and sizes. Always do a test swatch to ensure that you will get the right gauge. Depending on the yarn you may need to use larger or smaller needles.
Caring for Your Knitted Slippers
Slippers should always be hand washing using a few drops of gentle soap and then rinsed well. Squeeze as much water out of them as possible and then lay flat to dry.
Knitting is a relaxing pastime that can be enjoyed while watching television, during a break at work or while waiting for an appointment. As you gain experience you can try different stitch patterns to create unique designs. Hand knitted slippers and bed socks usually are good sellers at bazaars and craft fairs plus they make a thoughtful gift to tuck into a Christmas stocking or even to have on hand for overnight guests.
How to Finish the Slippers
More by this Author
It is quite simple to carve and decorate your own, homemade crochet hooks and knitting needles.
If you are a beginning spinner it can be hard to decide which wheel to buy. Here are some affordable options, and facts about each.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE86
Can you tell the difference between a rat snake, also called a chicken snake and a poisonous copperhead? Get details and images in this article.