Lilacs- How to Make Them Last in a Bouquet
The Heady Scent of Lilacs in Spring
For years I thought I could not cut lilacs and bring them inside because the ones I cut would wilt within the hour in a vase. That was a shame since I have always wanted to take the beautiful essense of the lilac inside. They blossom for such a short interval that I want to enjoy them as much as I can during springtime
Why I Love the Lilac...
As a child I had a lilac tree under my bedroom window. I was spoiled by the soft, delicate fragrance of lilac scent rising through the open window as I lay waking during warm spring mornings.
Some Lilac trivia:
Lilacs are a symbol of early love. They bloom in May and June. In England they are part of cottage gardens and I can understand why.
Some varieties especially white ones are scentless. The old fashioned darker mauve varieties have the strongest fragrance, which is why I love the purple ones!
A Technique for Longer Lasting Cut Lilacs
How to Prepare cut Lilacs for the Vase
There are some variations to making Lilacs last. A dear friend taught me this technique and I have added a little of what I have also found helpful...so here it is:
- Cut Lilacs in the morning. Apparently, that makes them likely to last longer...
- Lilacs should be cut twice. The first time when cut off the tree; the second cut just prior to placing them in a vase.
- A clean vase is important with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in it! Make sure you add the sugar, it is important!
- Just prior to adding the Lilacs cut the second time and peel off a layer of bark and split the ends to enable the stalks to pull up adequate supplies of sugar water.
- Lilacs will drink a lot of water. Make sure to keep an eye on the water level.and top up frequently.
- Note: as with all cut flowers, keep leaves out of the water and change the water if it gets murky. In that case re-cut the stems.
- Prepared this way, I have had Lilacs can last for a week. Much better than wilting within an hour!
More by this Author
How to crochet a freestyle lampshade and reclaim an old lampshade frame with a new look for pennies and get to enjoy a craft at the same time!
Ottawa Attractions; the rock sculptures on the Ottawa River at Remic Rapids. Photos and descriptions.
Vote on our Cheez Whiz poll. Cheez Whiz ingredients,Cheez Whiz is made from real Canadian Cheddar, Cheez Whiz is a processed cheese sauce, Cheese Whiz ingredient list