Easy Craft Projects To Make from Duct Tape
Making crafts from duct tape is fun, fast, durable and relatively inexpensive. Crafting with duct tape is an explosive trend, gaining in popularity. Gone are the days when duct tape was ONLY used to hold batteries in place on the backs of children's toys, or to hold a broken taillight onto a car. Duct tape has become a popular crafting material, especially among teens, thanks to the Duck Tape Prom, a contest that inspires teens to make their prom attire entirely from rolls of duct tape. Teens are going all out to win this contest, sponsored by the Henkel Corporation based in Northeast Ohio, which rewards the most creative prom attire with prizes, publicity, and even scholarships. Make a prom dress out of duct tape and win a college scholarship? Sure, but the competition is stiff, so if you plan to do this, make sure you buy penty of rolls of duct tape, and get your mojo on!
Other brands of duct tape include U-Line, 3M, Gorilla, and Shurtape. A note about Shurtape, this duct tape come in several colors, but is not as durable as some of the other brands.
Duct Tape/Duck Tape Colors
Many who are familiar with duct tape know it to be available in shades of gunmetal grey. But as duct tape has grown in popularity as a crafter's tool, it has been sold in many different colors and prints. Duct tape is still available in the hardware aisle at your local retailer, but it is becoming increasingly available in craft stores, too. Keep in mind that while the costs can differ, depending on the location you buy your rolls of duct tape, the actually tape is still the same. Although duct tape is available though a number of manufacturers, who make the tape in widths usually of 1 or 2 inches, the most easily obtainable and popular brand of duct tape for crafters is Duck Brand Duct Tape. This company has 20 colors in its basic lineup, including some neon shades, and also sells specialty printed tapes. You can buy these tapes in the hardware section of well-known retailers like Target and Wal-Mart, or buy them online through Amazon. Rolls of colored duct tape are more expensive and sold in smaller quantities than tape sold for general purpose use, usually in the traditional color, gray. Colored roles of Duck Brand duct tape are 1.88 inches wide and sold in 10-yard rolls. Now I do not mean for this article to sound like an advertisement for a certain company, but we have a duct tape crafter at home, and this is our favorite brand to use.
Making items with duct tape seems equally popular with both men and women, and it is a craft well-suited for scout groups. Several duct tape crafters are selling the popular duct tape wallets online craft sites like Etsy and others.
Duck Brand Duck Tape Colors
Duck Tape Brand Prints
Totally Tie Dye
Cosmic Tie Dye
Rumor has it that zebra and leopard print duct tape are becoming available exclusively through Michael's craft stores, but these printed duct tapes will be made available online at some future date.
Bestselling Duct Tapes
Make a Duct Tape Rose
What You Can Make
Whether you are making duct tape items for a children's craft, home-based business, or personal enjoyment, the possibilities are almost limitless with this almost indestructible crafting material, but some of the most popular items to make from duct tape include wallets (think Father's Day), handbags, backpacks, and shoes.
It is not recommended that you use an x-acto knife with young children, as the blades are extremely sharp. But in the hands of a careful adult, you can create some fantastic designs using duct tape and a utility (x-acto) blade, either with a template or without. Simple shapes usually work best.
- Duct tape wallet or coin purse: A duct tape wallet can take only about 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish, including the time it takes to decorate the wallet. A duct tape wallet can be simple or complex--a simple bi-fold wallet any cub scout could make, or a more complicated affair with two-toned pockets and decorative patterns created with an x-acto knife and a sturdy cutting surface. There are several methods for making a wallet from duct tape.
- Duct tape flip flops. Make simple shoes from duct tape by starting with several layers of cardboard, cut to conform to the shape of your foot. Alternately, you could use an existing pair of flip flops and trace to your shoe size for a professional-looking template. Wrap the cardboard platform of your shoes with strips of duct tape. Then add either a wide strip of duct tape across the instep area, and secure to the bottom of the sandal with more duct tape.
- Duct tape belt. Make a camouflage belt for a boy scout jamboree, or a neon-colored slim belt with a matching duct tape purse for a preteen sleepover party. Belts are relatively easy to make. A crafters hole punch tool used by scrapbookers, and a pre purchased belt buckle, or old belt from a thrift store well make this an easy project that the maker will proudly wear. Grommets for the holes in the belt are optional, but recommended for durability.
- Duct tape bible or scripture bag. A simple bag or carrying case can be created in a few short steps. Piece strips of duct tape together to make the sides and bottom of your bag, (taping two strips of the duct tape adhesive together to create the outer and inner parts of the bag), Use wide strips of duct tape to piece the bag together, then finish off with a pair of matching duct tape handles. For fancier handles, you can buy purse handles at a craft store. If you want to add a closure to the bag, add a strip of duct tape that goes across the width of the bag, and use add some self-adhesive Velcro tape.
- Duct tape beanie. Believe it or not, you can make a beanie cap out of duct tape in about a half hour.
- Duct tape roses. Very pretty, durable, and relatively realistic roses can be made for mother's day from straws, and duct tape. This would be a great craft for cub scouts and brownies, because they can be made during a one-hour meeting.
- Duct tape jewelry. Make duct tape bracelets, earrings, or necklaces by rolling beads from long triangular strips of duct tape. If you are working with younger kids, roll the beads directly onto a sturdy piece of string over stretchy plastic used for beading. Otherwise you can make beads and then string them later: just make sure to wrap the beads around a narrow plastic tube. I recommend coffee straws for this purpose.
- Make a duct tape phone holster. Working with a fourth or fifth grade group of scouts, you could present them with a challenge to make the best, sturdiest belt-loop phone holder. My daughter has made these for her dad. They make great father's day gifts.
- Duct tape tissue holder. My grandma always keeps a personal-sized packet of tissues in her purse. She likes to make felt holders for these and then inserts the disposable personal-sized tissue packs. This would be another great mother's day, grandparent's day, or teacher appreciation gift. Just adapt the felt pattern to the duct tape material.
My daughter is the real duct tape expert at our house. She has made sandals, wallets, backpacks, a belt, and even a duct tape water bottle holder, decorated to look like a bee.
Make a Bi-Fold Duct Tape Wallet
Make a Duct Tape Wallet
A duct tape wallet is an easy and fun craft that can be given as a gift for Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, or birthdays. You can actually find duct tape wallets on sale at crafter's sites online, but this is a fun craft for a rainy day or for a scout troop. Set your teen free with several rolls of colored duct tape and see what they come up with!
Duct Tape Craze
- How to Make a Duct Tape Flower
Make duct tape flowers easily using our videos and step by step pictures. Lots of variations. Great kids craft gift and project.
- 35 Creative Uses for Duct Tape - And Then Some!
Duct tape, that marvelous cure all tool that's in everybody's tool box. How many different uses are there for duct tape? Way more than listed here.
- Stuff to Make Out of Duct Tape
Creative ideas for making stuff from Duct Tape. Step by step instructions and videos.
- Cool Washi and Duct Tape Crafts
Washi tape and duct tape craft ideas for kids, teens and adults. How to make flip flops, wallet, rose, purse craft projects using Washi tape or duct tape. Cool craft ideas for boys, girls. Easy simple
- Duct Tape: The Backpacker's Best Friend
A repair kit is one of the ten essential outdoor gear and one of the greatest repair tool ever invented is the duct tape. Some even call it "the greatest invention of all time", the duct tape is tough, water resistant, strong, lightweight and easy...
- How to make clothes and accessories out of duct tape
What a silly headline. But think! Duct tape holds essential things together as did Roman bridges and aquaducts. What does it hold together? Baby cribs, car seats and (if you read below) cleavages. But remember it's not that great for the skin,...
- How to make duct tape shoe lasts for wet felted boot...
Duct Tape or Gaffer Tape can be used very effectively to create Custom Made Shoe Lasts on which you can make felted Slippers or Boots This tutorial provides a step by step guide on how to make them.
New Printed Ductape Design: Cupcake!
More by this Author
Heirloom family history quilts are part of my family's tradition. Some suggestions for you to get started on a family history quilt and some show and tell from my family's collection.
My husband's hobby is inspired by his love of medieval arms and armor: his quest? To make a hauberk, or chain mail suit, entirely from coat hangers. It is the ultimate in extreme knitting, and a great use for all of...
Art of the American West has become increasingly popular as an influential genre during the last century. Charles Marion Russell, George Catlin, Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Moran, and Frederick Remington are arguably the...