Get the Duck Dynasty Chia Pet-Ch-ch-ch-chia!
Where are the Chia commercials? You know it's time to start seeing them because the Christmas buying season is here. Time to order now in order to guarantee delivery by Christmas! Don't delay, order today!
Have you heard about the new Dunk Dynasty Chia pets?
Recent favorites include the Obama Chia pets. There are two versions. One is called "Determined" Obama and it shows the 44th President of the United States with a determined look on his face. The other is called "Happy" Obama and he is sporting a big grin. Both Obama Chias are available for delivery now.
Walgreen's, a big supplier of Chia pets, pulled 200,000 Obama Chia pets from their shelves back in April when the Obama Chia was released because of customer complaints.
Joseph Pedott, the founder of San Francisco based Joseph Enterprises, makers of Chia, said he was inspired to create the bust of Obama out of desire to show patriotism. He was shocked at Walgreen's decision.
What is a Chia and How Does it Work?
Chia Pets are a traditional Mexican grooved clay figure that is covered with moistened chia seeds. The seeds spout creating a covering similar to hair or fur. Enough seeds are included for three plantings, but more seeds can be ordered separately. They first gained their popularity in the 80s.
Obama "Determined" Chia Pets
Timeline for the Introduction and Discontinuation of Chia Pets
- 1982 - Original Chia Pet (later called Chia Ram) was introduced
- 198x - Chia Bull, Puppy, Kitten, and Tree were introduced
- 1993 - Chia Bunny, Turtle, and Herb Garden were introduced.
- 1995 - Chia Pig, Frog, Hippo, and original Chia Head (later called Chia Guy) were introduced. Chia Ram and Chia Bull were discontinued.
- 1996 - Chia Elephant, Kid, Professor, Clown and Terra Cotta Herb Garden were introduced. Chia Herb Garden was discontinued.
- 1998 - Chia Cow and Lion Cub were introduced.
- 2000 - Chia Dinosaur, Elmer Fudd, Taz, and Tweety were introduced. "Watch-Me-Grow Chia Cards" included. Chia Mr. T was issued briefly for a TV Land promotion.
- 2002 - Chia Scooby-Doo, Shaggy, and Homer Simpson were introduced. "Watch-Me-Grow Chia Cards" were discontinued.
- 2003 - Chia Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Bart Simpson were introduced.
- 2004 - Chia Shrek, Donkey (Shrek), Garfield, Chia Cat Grass Planter featuring Sylvester and Tweety, and Gourmet Chia Herb Garden were introduced. Chia Terra Cotta Herb Garden were discontinued.
- 2006 - Chia Bear, Alex (Madagascar), and Marty (Madagascar) were introduced. Chia Ram and Chia Bull that had been discontinued in 1995 were reintroduced. Chia Kid, Clown and Lion Cub retired, The introduction of the Chia Alarm Clock that was included with all Chia Pets, Chia Heads and Chia Tree, Cuddly Chia Puppy and Cuddly Chia Cub.
- 2007 - Pack-ins expanded to include Mini Chia Cuddly and Chia Watch.
- 2008 - Chia Po (Kung Fu Panda), Tree with Star Light, and Cat Grass Planter featuring "snoozing kitty" introduced. Chia Ram, Bull, Turtle, Bear, Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tree, Cuddly Chia Puppy, and Cuddly Chia Cub discontinued. Pack-ins include Mini Chia Cuddly and Chia Playing Cards. Chia Obama "Determined" and Chia Obama "Happy" released in April 2009, after normal selling season.
More by this Author
Is poison ivy contagious? Yes and no. It depends. I'll explain. Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain a sticky resin-like sap, or oil, called urushiol. Every part of the plant has this oil...
Several years ago, we had some friends who were Yankees (and they were pretty darn proud of that fact). He was from northern Maine and she was from New Hampshire. You really don't get much more Yankee than that. This...
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".