Colorful Pasta Jewelry - Fun and Easy Craft For Any Age
Craft Supplies From the Cupboard
Craft supplies from the cupboard are always welcome, especially when they are as cheap as pasta noodles! Pasta can be such a versatile craft supply as it can be strung, glued, and more. With all the various shapes of noodles you can find, you are sure to have plenty of craft ideas next time you are at the grocery store.
Noodles have been used for art probably just as long as they have been used for food, since they are such an easy craft supply for children to use. Jewelry making is probably one of the most common craft uses for pasta.
Uses For Your Colored Pasta
Macaroni necklaces is an easy favorite of young children. Noodles can be painted or colored with food coloring to make a creative and colorful designs.
Pasta jewelry makes the perfect gift for grandparents or friends. Homemade items are treasured for years to come.
Macaroni necklaces are a perfect craft project for a rainy day. Fill cold winter days with colorful pasta stringing!
Pasta Jewelry makes a great party activity idea! Party guests get to take home their projects as remembrances or gifts for someone else.
Keep containers of colored pasta handy for fun school time lessons. Use them for stringing activities or pattern recognition games any time!
How Do I Dye My Noodles?
Getting the color added to your noodles in quite simple. You may want to do this part ahead of time. It can get wuite messy if you are working with young children. It is also better to have this already done if it is for a craft activity at a party.
Supplies To Dye Your Noodles
- Several bowls with lids (one for each color)
- Rubbing alcohol
- Food coloring
- Paper towels or wax paper
Dying the Noodles
- Pour just enough rubbing alcohol into a bowl to cover the amount of pasta you wish to color. Add enough food coloring to create the desired shade and stir.
- Pour pasta into the alcohol mixture. Cover and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Drain alcohol mixture off of pasta, and spread pasta on paper towels or pasta to dry.While paper towels may dry to the noodles, wax paper may allow the dye to run.
- Let the pasta sit for several hours so that it can dry completely. This will ensure that the dye will not come off when handled.
Enough Already! I Want To Make Something!
This is where the fun part comes in! Once all of your supplies are ready, all children will be able to have fun creating their own designs or patterns.
Pasta Jewelry Supplies
- Macaroni or some other easy to string pasta
- Large Craft Needle (optional)
Assembling Your Necklace
- Cut the yarn into lengths long enough to be able to go over the head once assembled. String colored pasta in whatever way you choose! Be creative, and have fun!
- Tie the yarn ends together.
Odds Ands Ends
- Use pasta that is as light in color as possible. Pasta with yellow coloring will not turn out exactly the same color as the dye.
- If you prefer not to dye the pasta, use pasta that is already colored.
- Try using different shapes and sizes of pasta for variety.
- Add some wagon wheel pasta, or other circular food, to your necklace as accents.
- For a more refined look, add some clay or plastic beads.
- For a bracelet or anklet, substitute elastic string for the yarn or have a friend tie the ends into a bow for you!
- For darker color, leave the noodles in the coloring solution overnight. Keep in mind, however, that they will take longer to dry.
- Try painting the pasta. Use a thin paintbrush and poster paint to add designs or lettering.
- Make some pasta earrings to go with your necklace, bracelet or anklet. Just poke a small hole at the top of two pieces of pasta, and add an ear wire to each to make a unique pair of dangle earrings.
- Keep in mind that pasta jewelry won't last forever. It will eventually break or start looking shabby. The good news is that it's easy to make more.
Benefits of Crafts
Did you know that doing crafts has both educational and therapeutic benefits? They are ideal for both the young and the old, and everyone in between. Did you know that 98% of children are creative between the ages of 3-5? That figure drops to just 30% by the time they are just 10 years old.
Studies have shown that doing crafts can:
- Increase Problem Solving Skills
- Boost Self Esteem & Confidence Levels
- Improves Concentration Span
- Teaches Perseverance
- Enhances & Stimulates Brain Activity
- Positively Affects Children's Learning Abilities
A few of the Important motor skills and mental functions doing crafts build are:
- Hand-eye Coordination
- Shape and Color Concept
- Fine Motor Skills Development
- Spatial Perception
- Movement Patterns
- Increase Motivation
- Outlet For Anger and Frustration
- Sensory Stimulation
More by this Author
Children are naturally curious about everything around them. At some point, they will show an interest in helping in the kitchen. There are several common questions that get asked about children and the kitchen. At what...
Self esteem is commonly thought of as how we see ourselves. Others say that is self worth, and self esteem is how we perceive others see us. Either way, feeling bad about yourself is too common a thought these days. It...
Learning to be gluten free has been quite a journey, and one that we still travel on today. I am so glad of all the foods that are now available in a gluten free form. Years ago, there was nothing, and I found many...