Pentax K-x - Cheap DSLR Camera at its Best
Cheap DSLR Camera With Class
The Pentax K-x is a member of the "Cheap DSLR Camera" class. That is, it's an entry level digital SLR camera that is really inexpensive.
Have you ever seen a DSLR camera that was not either black or silver?
Me either.. That is until the Pentax K-x Red and Blue cameras came along.
They are really cool.
Hey, I remember when men didn't wear pink. So I think we need to get past this "black" issue, too.
OKay, let's talk photography.
- 12.4-Megapixel CMOS image sensor with "Shake Reduction" (that's like Image Stabilization or Vibration Reduction in Canon or Nikon language).
- LCD - 2.7" with Live View
- ISO - Range is from 200 to 6400, but it is expandable to as low as 100 and as high as 12800
- Burst Rate of 4.7 frames per second
- Video Capture - widescreen HD video at 720p resolution
- 11-point wide angle autofocus system with Face Detection of up to 16 faces
- Uses AA lithium batteries or AA NiMH rechargeables (or if you are in a pinch you can use good ole alkaline batteries)
- Compact design allows for 1-hand operation
- Comes in Black, Blue, White or Red (designer colors are new to DSLR cameras)
- Cheap DSLR Comparison
Find out which Cheap DSLR Camera is the absolute best choice for your budget and needs.
What's Really Good
- HD Video - the Pentax K-x is the only camera in the Cheap DSLR Camera category (under $650) with HD Video.
- HDR Capture - High Dynamic Range is a big deal right now among photographers. It is when you take 3 (or more) photos of the same exact scene using different exposures and blend them together to create the final image. Usually this is done with image editing software such as Photoshop, but some cameras are now including it as an in-camera process.
- Image quality - when compared to the competition (Canon Rebel and Nikon D3000) the Pentax K-x was clearly better at higher ISO settings at 800 ISO and above.
- Price - the camera with 18-55mm kit lens sells for under $600. There are two other "kits" that include an additional lens of either 50-300 or 50-200mm.
- Shutter Speed - a very fast 1/6000th second speed is the fastest in this class (compared to 1/4000 for Canon and Nikon models)
- Lenses - If you already own a Pentax Lens, you can use it with your new Pentax K-x, because all Pentax SLR lenses from the beginning of time are still usable.
What's not so Good
- No visual focus indicators - Most DSLR cameras have indicators that let you know where your camera is focussing. The Pentax K-x does not. Every technical reviewer found this somewhat disappointing. Not to make excuses for the lack of these points, but if you are buying your very first DSLR, you may not have experienced having visual aids for focus, and this may not be an issue for you.
- Battery Life - when using Live View, batteries were of shorter duration than expected.
Photos from Flickr with a Pentax K-x
Pentax K-x Introduction
More by this Author
Capturing images of birds with your camera can be much easier if you have the right technique and equipment. Here are some suggestions about how to go about photographing those elusive birds.
The digital photography lexicon is meant to give you a layman's understanding of basic photography terms.
There are a few reasons to buy an electric fireplace. They are quite beautiful and functional. An electric fireplace will easily become part of your decor and enhance the ambiance of your home. This is where corner...