Pergamano Paper Craft
Introducing Pergamano Paper Craft
Pergamano paper craft is a beautiful form of paper arts that uses crisp vellum papers and special tools to create beautiful effects. Pergamano is a company name. The generic name is parchment craft.
A new variation on a very old craft, Pergamano Parchment Craft is an art form that creates beautifully delicate, lacy paper projects similar to the Valentine Envelope with its cut-out hearts shown to the right. Pergamano Parchment craft projects can take many forms -- including cards, envelopes, tags, gift boxes, lampshades, embellishments for scrapbooks, journals and altered book, framed wall hangings and various other decorations.
Although parchment craft in some form has been with us two almost two thousand years, the modern day variation represents the work of Martha Ospina, a Colombian woman who relocated to The Netherlands and established Pergamano International in 1987. Martha's dream was to bring Pergamano Parchment Craft to international audiences. Her products, tools, designs and patterns are well known in Europe and South America and are gaining in popularity in North America.
This video demonstrates basic Pergamano Parchment Craft using the Beginner's Starter Kit sold at Pergamano.com as well as from various other online and offline sources.
Photo credits: June Campbell
Video Demonstration of Basic Pergamano Parchment Craft
Pergamano Parchment Craft Techniques and Tools
Pergamano Parchment Craft typically involves four techniques:
- Tracing a Pattern. Using a tracing pen and Pergamano pattern, the crafter traces the pattern onto parchment paper.
- Embossing.Working on the back of the parchment paper, and using an embossing pad, the crafter embosses selected elements of the pattern. This creates a raised effect on the front. By decreasing or increasing the amount of force applied to the embossing tool, the crafter can create varying shades of gray and white. Please refer to the Girl in Hat Birthday card. The frill on the blouse is embossed with shades of gray among the white.
- Stippling. Working on the back, and using a pointed tool called the I Tool, the crafter makes a number of hammer like motions on some areas of the pattern.This creates a raised effect of tiny bumps on the pattern front.
- Perforating. Using the I Tool used for stippling, or using any number of other perforating tools, the crafter creates a series of small holes that allow the perforated area to be separated from the rest of the paper.
- Coloring: Coloring tools such as Dorso crayons and pastels or various paints can be applied to selected areas of the back of the pattern.
- Cutting. Depending on the pattern used, special cutting tools may be required to create decorative cuts.
The video below demonstrates making a small gift box The project uses white parchment paper, but the back is colored with a lavender Dorso crayon.
Video Tutorial: How to Make a Gift Box with Pergamano Parchment Craft
Pergamano Supplies at Amazon
Pergamano Parchment Craft Resources
- All Things Parchment Craft : Free Parchment Craft Patterns
Freebies for your use.
The official Pergamano.com web site offers shopping, projects, contests, a forum and free patterns
- Parchment Express
This site has projects, a forum, shopping, courses, gallery, news and free patterns.
- Scrapping by Design » Blog Archive » Ten Tips for Doing Pergamano Parchment C
Ten tips for saving time, saving money and improving your techniques.
- Using Pergamano Paper Craft in an Altered Book
This site describes the tools and techniques and includes pictures of Permanago used in an altered book
- Beautiful Gallery of Pergamano Projects
Amazing projects made using Pergamano paper craft You have to check out the lady's undies.
- Pergamano Group on Yahoo
A moderated email group for Pergamano, Tarjeteria & parchment craft enthusiasts
- Pergamano Lessons and Practice Session
This site contains examples of various techniques used in Pergamano.
- Pergamano Patterns on Pinterest | 400 Pins
Lovely patterns as you would expect.
Permanago the Easy Way Using A Stamped Image
© 2008 June Campbell
More by this Author
Make an advent calendars or a countdown calendar at home. Its a great holiday tradition. Directions are included for making Advent Calendars for a child as well as for an adult.
This article provides a selection of easy Christmas crafts that you can make for the winter holiday season.
This article explains how to get started with the paper art technique known as Washi Paper Quilting. Its based on traditional Japanese doll making techniques.