Pros and cons of Buying a Grey or Store Camera
Why Pay More for a New Camera
Have you ever wondered whether to buy a grey imported camera or one from local store and pay nearly double? When thinking of buying any photographic equipment for the first time you need to look at all your options.
The choice is yours so never spend your hard earned money without doing your research or you could be disappointed. I have listed a few things below before you make your next purchase.
What do you Want from your Camera?
- Take the odd photo
- Take Family and nature photos
- Need one to last for years
- A cheap one that is easy to use
- One that takes movies and stills
Choosing the Brand and Type of Camera
There are so many brands on the market that it is not easy to choose that special one with which to capture your memories of your favorite moments.
I believe the most popular brands on the market are Canon, Nikon, Sony and, Panasonic. Once you have decided on the brand of your choice, then ask yourself if you want a simple point and shoot or a more expensive digital SLR camera. These decisions will make a huge difference as to which camera you buy.
Do want a small one that fits in your pocket or one with a bigger lens to capture those shots to show to everyone?
How much will you pay?
This will depend on your budget and of course where you buy your camera.
Once you have made all of the above decisions it is time to make your purchase.
This is where it gets more difficult. If you have limited finances I can see why people will risk buying the grey one online as they are cheaper and they are both made in the same factory and are identical.
What happens if you have a problem with it? Are you still covered with a warranty? I have made a comparison on buying either local store or the grey one online.
Pros of Buying Camera from Local Store
- When you buy from your local store, you can pick the camera up and see exactly what it looks and feels like in your hand to use.
- You have a manufactures warranty usually 12 months (stores can offer extended warranty)
- If you ask the sales person they can give you more information on using and making your choice of camera.
Cons of Buying your Camera from Local Store
- They are far more expensive buying from a local store.
- Be sure you know where to return it after purchase if there is a fault with it. It should go directly back to the manufacturer not to the person you bought it from.
Pros of Buying a Grey Camera
- This will cost you nearly half the price of a store bought one.
- These are still (from our experience) exactly the same ones as sold in local store.
- Therefore you could buy two for the price of a store bought one.
Cons on Buying a Grey Camera
- Buying camera unseen
- These are still under warranty although you still have to return it if faulty
Something to extra to think about.
- Many online companies have a chat section where you can ask the relevant questions. Make a copy of the chat session so you have proof. If it will not let you make a copy then hit PrtSc SysRq on your keyboard and paste into photo shop or your current photo editor.
- Make sure you know exactly what you are buying before committing yourself.
Authors Note: My husband bought a Nikon D3200 Kit AF-S 18-105mm VR Lens Digital SLR Camera online and it has been right around Australia and taken thousands of photos with it. We have had no problems with this and is now 9 months old. He is very happy with it.
He paid $608.00 AUD online - Quoted $1200.00 local store. This camera was made in same factory as far as we know as the one we looked at in the store.
Disclaimer: This is our personal experience only. Therefore everyone needs to do their own research and decide for themselves.
Easy to Carry Stick Tripod
Buying online or in store
Where would you buy your next camera
Would you buy a grey camera online - Please leave your experiences in Comments sectionsSee results without voting
Great Birding Camera
More by this Author
Beware of the downside of buying gift cards. The stores never lose out. Customers often never use the cards to their full value
Anyone can learn to crochet and once you have then you can make little things like novelties for special occasions. Or you could make things for gifts at Christmas or Birthdays or sell at garage sales or on ebay to...
Blue Heeler cattle dogs will do anything to protect their owners, even risking their own lives. That's how faithful they are to their friends.