Psychological Map From Americans Have a Skewed Perspective Of The World
New York City Center of Universe
How did this hub come about? This was the path: 1. Click the Forum to see what people are talking about. 2. Begin reading the dialogue 3. Have an idea for an answer 4. Search the web with all kinds of iterations and configurations of various words that should bring up the answer 5. After an hour of searching can't find what I'm looking for but find something of interest 6. Decide this is more than an answer for forum 7. Copy the video link as the "focal point" of this article 8. Click start new hub and begin writing 8. It's all free form from here...
True Reverse Perspective
Super Video But Not What I Was Looking For
Hey Hubbers out there. Does anyone know the name of the painting and artist's name that created a drawing or painting of the world with New York City as the focal point? It is a colorful image showing a world map with all the countries as small and New York City as The Big Apple really totally out of proportion. The scale is skewed and the perspective like a 'fish eye.'
I remember it from art school, but cannot remember the artist. It's also possible it was a black and white ink drawing originally.
As I keep searching the most amazing websites appear:
Watch the dream-like underwater landscape of human sculptures at the bottom of the sea. The music is "The Blue Planet" by George Fenton played by the BBC Concert Orchestra. Instead of a 'fish-eye' perspective, that's the fish who swim around the humans in a better perspective. We stand silent and they get to move. Reverse aquarium.
The Silent Evolution by Jason DeCaires Taylor
George Segal, Artist
The Entire World Map Is Wrong
- I just saw this video and wondering if it is factually correct?
- Cartography Page | The Mercator Map | The most widely used map in the U.S. today is the Mercator projection map. Mercator maps often appear in businesses, in libraries and in classrooms where geography is taught. This popularity is surprising, given the fact that the Mercator projection was first constructed in 1569, primarily for use by navigators. | The Mercator projection’s undeniable value to navigators stems from the fact that a straight line drawn by the traveler will have a constant compass bearing. This is accomplished, however, by spacing the parallels (lines of latitude, measuring North and South) in specifically increased amounts from the Equator to the poles, which results in an enlarging exaggeration factor of 33 past 80? latitude.
- Nineteen Maps That Put The World Into Perspective
Changing the World Map on West Wing
George Segal Books
We Are Just Clay To Be Molded
What is our perspective of ourselves within our environment, our neighborhood, county, state, country, continent? Something we must take a moment to think about to get an answer. In a way, this is exactly what EarnestsHub asked in the Forum.
Dumbfounded by the single-point perspective of Americans on the internet, like they owned the world. The rest of human population were country-less, home-less if they could not answer USA. What?! Can't attend an event in Silicon Valley California or The Big Apple New York City. Where do you live, anyway? No drop-down menu or place to type in your location. Sorry state of affairs and I'm feeling inadequate that I only speak one language, while everyone else knows at least two.
Come to think of it, this type of iconic drawing may now be seen of every major city map in the world. As a tourist you may have a map depicting the city as a blow up enlargement and the rest of the landscape diminutive.
China's Terra Cotta Soldiers
The Meandering Path. Does Someone Have An Answer?
Dear Earnestshub of Melbourne, Australia ~ This is quite comical. The answer lies in the delusions and inadequacies that Americans have about themselves and the rest of the world.
1. Click the Forum to see what people are talking about.
EarnestsHub posts a question: America, the only country in the world online! He's flabbergasted and beside himself in amazement that people's of other countries are not acknowledged in on-line forums and in-put forms, calendars and scheduled events. He feels their perspective has a narrow field of vision, thus the 'fish-eye' world view.That's when the map image comes into my mind and I go on a wild goose chase trying to find that picture. Anyone know what I'm talking about and can find it so we can all look at it on this hub?
2. Have an idea for an answer
I'm thinking that we all live in some kind of delusion. The video showing the artist drawing in 6-point perspective reminds me of ESCHER and his unique ability to create an imaginary world on paper that depicts 3D interlocking space. See my other hub, Homeopathy: Finding Patterns to Explain Behavior & Beliefs describing a similar idea.EarnestsHub will see this world view change in this decade. He is not the only one who realizes America has lost prominence as world leaders, will grande ideas, innovations, in all areas of politics, science, finance, art, medicine, education and technology. We lag behind but won't admit it.With translate.google and google.earth all points on the map can be the focal point, even the oceans and the stars. America has shrunk to a tiny point, a whisper.
Search the web with all kinds of iterations and configurations of various words that should bring up the answer
Searching in google using words like, "Map, New York City, drawing, exaggeration, skewed, out-of-proportion, artist, painting, artist, enlarged, contrast..." brought up nothing but The Twin Towers, Maps of the city and varied sundries, but no cookie. if anyone gets the answer, tell me what keywords they used to search. Many wonderful photographic images of the Brooklyn Bridge and old time New York popped up. The search wasn't for naught, just not what I needed.
5. After an hour of searching can't find what I'm looking for but find something of interest
This Hubpage is the result of my explorations. I could keep going and going, but need some sleep. I hope you enjoyed the journey with me and have some good answers to give EarnestsHub, maybe more confirmation or something to upset his applecart. I love this community, but have to get back to my little world over at HWC.
6. Decide this is more than an answer for forum
I couldn't fit all of this in the forum and another reason I'm writing this Hub is due to the false perception given on my initial click from the right hand column to a different Forum question. See below. The more I read, the more ideas flow, the longer the piece grows.
7. Copy the video link as the "focal point" of this article
Once the video gets inserted the rest of the article develops into a life of its own. No longer do I know if I'm answering the Forum Question. Life is a process.
8. Click start new hub and begin writing
Here we are at the end of the story. Looks like its taken about 3-4 hours to write this hub. Way too long.
Artistic Perspective on New York
Preface To This Hub
I was visiting Stabilized Organic Aloe Vera and Obesity. On the right hand column was a FORUM topic called, "Why Obesity Should Be Treated Like A Health Issue, Not A Crime." "CLICK REPLY" Just as I'm about to post a comment a message pops up telling me not to reply. I think this is odd and kind of weird that Hubpages should encourage us to view conversations and then tell us not to comment.
It is similar to news articles that say, "All comments closed." And, since they suggested that I start a new forum topic or write a new hub, this planted the idea for me to do one or the other. I'm hooked. Any comments?
Hubpages Post A Reply Warning Message
Addendum To Fish Eye New York City
Gosh! It's been years since I wrote this article. And, guess what? A few clicks and searches and I found something a bit familiar to answer the initial search question.
- The World As Seen From New York's 9th Avenue seems the closest response so far. The author is a "map" collector. He says, "Many New Yorkers feel their city is more than just the (self-proclaimed) capital of the world. They think it actually is most of the world, the rest of the planet merely being the unavoidable orchard in which their Big Apple grows.
- More Cool Maps
Just noticed this is my 80th Hub. Comments, Questions? 13 comments
Who Is Changing Your Reality?
Google, Bing, FaceBook
All of the search engines and sites that harbor, store, sell and investigate your personal information utilize the date to change YOUR view of the world. These companies use algorithms to personalize where you might click around the internet. They certainly manipulate which advertisements and products they attempt to sell you. Surprisingly they learn your weak spots, whether you can't pass giving to animal rights, a destitute person, or perhaps have a hankering for particular line of clothing, jewelry, fashion or electronic gadgets. This means know how to move you where they want you to go. You might be interested in MoveOn.org founder Eli Pariser new book, "The Filter Bubble" to read what he has learned about this issue.
Other Hubs By Debby
- Homeopathy Scar Cream Acne Skin Keloid Eruptions by Miranda Castro
Miranda Castro's Scar Cream for keloids, cicatrices, lumps, hard skin tissue, acne, after surgery and more. - 19 months ago
- Car Exhaust Fumes & Air Pollution Are Contributing Factors To Increase In Autism
Car Exhaust & Air Pollution Are Contributing Factors To Increase In Autism, Growth and Development. Learn about the ingredients and chemicals in air pollution. - 23 months ago
- Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut gourd wins the title of most popular squash in America! Like all members of the gourd family, these winter fruits grace store shelves just around Halloween time. I love that this squash was sitting atop my fridge for a week or more. Many... - 5 weeks ago
- An Alternative View Of Ovarian Cysts Using Homeopathy and Brandon Bays Healing Journey
Learning about ovarian cysts and how to heal the emotional, physical and mental scars and pains through alternative practices including homeopathy. - 11 months ago
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM is the founder of Homeopathy World Community and believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
- If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now.
More by this Author
Homeopathy is an unfolding of discoveries to explain observable effects we see transpire in patients. Homeopaths observe and utilize these experiences, yet cannot fully explain in using today's scientific model the...
- 36Homeopathic Formic Ant Remedy Formica Rufa Relieves Rheumatic Arthritis Gout, Acid, Stings and Itching
Extensive article about homeopathy and other scientific facts related to one homeopathic remedy for arthritis, rheumatism, gout, stiff joints, weak vision, eczema, itching, hives, nettle rash, shingles, edema, headache,...
A frontier in medical treatment. Bloodless Surgery for transplants, trauma, injury and more.