How to Sew and Sell Purses for Fun and Profit with Links to Patterns
Start a Home Sewing Business
There's nothing like sitting down at the sewing machine with only some fabric and thread and then, some time later, getting up with a brand new item to add to your wardrobe. If sewing is your specialty and you're looking to start a home business, you will want to research all the possibilities in the purse sewing business. With so many patterns to pull from and study, and with so many women looking for unique purses to add to their wardrobe, you can turn a nice profit from your creativity and sewing skills.
For personal use, making your own purses for all the ladies (and satchels for the men) in the house can save you and your family a lot of money. Your home sewn purses will cost a lot less to make and they will probably last a lot longer than cheap store bought purses. What's more, you can make them out of washable fabrics so that you can easily throw them in the washer when they start to look dirty.
Books on Sewing Purses
Be Unique and Creative
A successful home sewer needs to find her or his own niche. It can be a theme, such as disco purses, or it can be an original style of purse.
Ideas for starting your own purse sewing business:
- Network! Find local craft groups and set up your own table at craft fairs.
- Find a unique, unused name for your brand of purses. You can even use your own name to brand your creations.
- Find a niche in the market. Would your customers favor large purses or small purses? What colors will you use? Will the patterned fabric be wild or sedate?
- Set up a website that displays the purses you've made and are for sale.
- Set up a store on ebay. Announce new listings on Twitter and Facebook.
How to Make a Handbag
Free Online Purse and Bag Patterns
- The Basic Purse
Learn how to make a basic purse.
- The Easy Five-Step Market Tote (and it's upcycled!)
Made from pillow cases.
- 15-Minute Gift Bag
Got 15 Minutes? You have time to make this adorable bag! The 15-Minute Gift Bag is a great, quick project you can use to give someone a special gift.
- FREE bag purse pattern - Big n' Beautiful Betty
Coo blimey! Who will side with who in the UK General 2010 election. My packed suitcase is packed and ready in the hallway just in case. And yep I did vote. Whilst they squabble amongst themselves how about making this...
- One Hour Bag
Use these patterns to sew purses in an hour or less! This one hour bag is easy and versatile enough to take to work, school, the mall, even the gym! Learn how to sew a purse and then make enough for everyone you love.
- Embellished Shoulder Purse
A beautiful, small purse.
- Lunch Bag Tutorial
Very easy to follow.
- Birdie Fun Carry Bag - Instructions and Template - Download FREE
Easy fabric purses.
- Hushabye Tote Bag and Coin Quilt
Make a beautiful quilted handbag.
- Free Hobo Printable Purse Patterns - Pattern for Purse - Purse Sewing Pattern - How To Make A Hobo B
After two days of fruit, I thought maybe I should mix things up a bit with a craft tutorial. I made this hobo bag a while ago and loved it so much I wanted to...
- Blossom Handbag
Sew a hand/shoulder bag.
- Arm Candy For You: Corduroy circular purse -Tutorial
Photographs and instructions for making a circular purse.
- The (reversible) School-Time Messenger Bag
An awesome messenger bag to make for the kids or for yourself.
- Eternal Beauty Bag
A lovely over the should purse.
- Easter Bunny Bag Pattern
Tutorial for Easter Bunny Bag suitable for Easter Egg Hunt.
- Drawstring Bag Pattern
Here's a twist to the classic drawstring bag pattern. It only takes about 20 minutes to make, looks really nice and it's very useful. It can be used for everything!
- Bolsa Chica: Pleated Purse Tutorial
Great instructions for making a pleated purse.
- How to Make a Purse for a Girl's Night Out
Learn how to make a purse with a big bow. Use leftover fabric from a party dress, to sew one of these luxurious little pouches. They make the perfect complement for a girl's night out.
How to Sew a Clutch
More by this Author
Easy fingerless gloves you can knit. Using only knit and purl, these gloves can be made in one sitting.
A very easy hat to make that uses only knit and purl. The hat is sized for adults and can be quickly knit and put together in a day.
Don't let a pimple ruin your day. Try these ten easy ways to quickly get rid of a pimple.
No comments yet.