Stuff to Make Out of Duct Tape
What Can I Make From Duct Tape?
Just about anything you can think of can be made or covered with this versatile product. My kids have had a great time having friends over and being creative making:
- air soft or Nerf war vests
- purses made on Ziploc bags
- roses and rose pens
- room decorations
- school supplies
See the video above to start your own creative ideas. Also check out the directions and other videos below.
Duct Tape Vest
Easy Duct Tape Shoes
Follow the above video to use a pair of Toms shoes as a model for making your own Duct Tape shoes out of cardboard and Duct Tape.
An even easier way to make custom shoes is to cover with Duct Tape your own pair of:
- Flip Flops
If you have an old pair of shoes that still fit, you can revive them by covering them with Duct Tape. We've also done this to a pair we got used at the Goodwill. You can use Duct Tape shoes:
- as part of a costume
- for a trendy statement
- to match an outfit
- for a prom or wedding joke
How to Make Duct Tape Shoes
- Cloth covered shoes
- Duct Tape
- small sharp scissors (nail clipping or embroidery scissors are good)
- Make sure the shoes are clean. You might want to wash and dry shoes if they aren't. Be sure they are completely dry or the Duct Tape won't stick.
- Starting at the front of the shoe, cut a piece of Duct Tape which is a bit longer than the front. Place the Duct Tape on the top of the shoe and press down. Trip the Duct Tape at the top and bottom.
- Place a second piece of Duct Tape that overlaps the first one. Trim. Continue to place and trip the Duct Tape until you've covered the whole shoe.
- Use two or more colors if you want, or put an edging of a different color around where your food goes into the shoe.
Easy Duct Tape Airsoft Vest
My son plays lots of air-soft and Nerf wars. After watching his sisters make Duct Tape stuff, he decided to make a vest which could let him hold his extra guns and ammo. He used an old shirt and then covered it with Duct Tape.
He added in straps to put on his equipment. It is easier to just cover an old T-Shirt (cut it first to make it into the vest you want), and that makes a very strong and "bullet proof" vest. For a lighter one, you can also make a vest just out of Duct Tape by watching the video instructions below.
Duct Tape Shoes
Duct Tape Purse
Duct Tape Purse
The simpliest way to make a Duct Tape Purse is just to cover a Zip lock bag (any size) with strips of Duct Tape. All you need is:
- Duct Tape (at least one color, but 2 or more colors lets you make a nice design)
- ZipLock bag (new is best)
How to Make an Easy Duct Tape Tote
- Pull out the Duct Tape and attach the top end to the top of the bag. It is good to let a liittle of the tape overlap the side so you hide the bag.
- Carefully press down the tape on the bag and then cut (leave a little bit off the end.
- Do another strip right next to it, overlapping just a bit. You can use the same color or alternate with a different color for stripes.
- Cover the whole bag on one side. Turn it over and cover the other side.
- Trim any extra around the bag.
- Make a handle by pulling out Duct Tape that is as long as you want your handle to be. You can make it a hipster shoulder bag, or have 2 shorter handles on either side if you want to make it a tote.
- Lay the handle strip sticky side up on the table. Fold the tape in half.
- Attach the handle to the outside of the Ziploc bag.
- Now to hold the handle on, and to strengthen the bag, put one more strip of Duct Tape at the top of the bag, like in the picture below. You can use this as a contrasting color if you want.
- For directions on how to make the triangle bag, watch my video below.
Duct Tape Purse
How to Make a Duct Tape Flower Pen
Duct Tape Flower Pen
Duct Tape Flower
You can make a variety of Duct Tape Flowers, but the duct tape rose is the most popular. You can make these roses into:
- the top of a pen or pencil
- a ring
- a rose for a vase
- a gift for a friend
- a bracelet
- a keychain
See the video for instructions, or see my written tutorial in How to Make a Duct Tape Flower Pen.
Duct Tape Wallet
Duct Tape Wallet Instructions
Duct Tape Wallet
I think the Duct Tape Wallet started this trend of using Duct Tape for something other than house repairs. There are lots of videos to explain how to do it, but I like this one because the directions are clear and she does some cute designs. The wallet she makes is much nicer looking than some of the wallets I've seen. You might want to make a Duct Tape wallet which matches or contrasts with your Duct Tape purse.
Duct Tape Necklaces
Braided Duct Tape Jewelry
- Another way to make Jewelry is to take 3 strands of Duct tape that are about 1 1/2 times the length you want them to end up being.
- Cut them all in half lengthwise, then fold them in half.
- Attach 3 of the pieces together by a piece of Duct Tape, then braid them.
- Use the braid for a necklace or bracelet. If you make smaller strips, you can make braided rings.
Easy Duct Tape Necklace
Easy Duct Tape Jewelry
Simple Duct Tape Rings, Toe Rings, Bracelets or Anklets
- To make the simplest jewelry, all you need to do is to cut a piece of Duct Tape a bit bigger than what you want to put it around (toe, finger, wrist etc.).
- Cut the Duct Tape in half lengthwise.
- Fold one of the pieces in half so that the Duct Tape sticks to itself, but leave one end open.
- Put the ring or bracelet around and then use the open end of the Duct Tape to attach it. You might want to make sure it is big enough that you can slip it off.
- Decorate the ring or bracelet with circles of Duct Tape you cut out with a hole punch, or pieces you cut out with scissors.
Duct Tape Prom
Duct Tape Prom Clothes
Really inspired? You might think about making clothes out of Duct Tape. You can take an old dress, shirt of pants and just cover it, or you might want to make a pattern for clothes out of something thin and lightweight like a vinyl tablecloth (using Duct Tape to put the pieces together of course) and then cover that with Duct Tape.
You can actually win a scholarship if you win the Duct Tape Prom contest. Look at the video above for the 2013 Duct Tape Prom competition. Even if you don't want a Duct Tape Prom dress for yourself, you will be amazed at the creativity!
More by this Author
Video Instructions for Duct Tape Chains to decorate your room or party. Original design for unique chains you can make in any color combination. Waterproof for outdoor decorations.
Kids bored? These crazy craft and science experiment ideas will keep them busy. Step by step how to with pictures.
How to write better sentences? Easy tips to improve sentences just by changing the first word with a list of alternative first words included, plus ideas for faster and easier writing.