The Infinite Rainbow Of Embroidery Thread
Embroidery Thread Is Available In Thousands Of Colors
Embroidery thread is a type of yarn that is used specifically for embroidery and other types of needle work. Embroidery thread may be hand-spun or made by machines. Any embroiderer will testify that it's great to have a nearly endless selection of embroidery thread to choose from!
Variegated threads have a blend of multiple colors that seamlessly flow into each other. Every few stitches a completely new color reveals itself. This adds a wonderful visual detail when used on solid color appliques.
Metallic threads add reflective and sparkling qualities to your craft project or needle work.
The Major Types Of Embroidery Thread
Types of threads used for hand embroidery may include:
- Embroidery floss or stranded cotton is a loosely twisted six strand thread that is somewhat glossy. It's typically made of cotton but is also available in rayon or silk. Cotton floss is the most common thread for cross stitch. The extreme shine of rayon floss is distinctive of Brazilian embroidery.
- Pearl cotton, French coton perle or perle cotton is a two ply thread that has a strong sheen and is usually comes in three weights or sizes; number three, five and eight, with three being the thickest.
- French coton a broder or matte embroidery is just what the name implies; matte-finished or lacking gloss, and is a twisted five ply thread.
- Crewel yarn is fine, two ply yarn made from wool, or occasionally of wool like acrylic.
- Persian yarn is a three strand yarn often used for needle point. It is loosely twisted of acrylic or wool.
- Light weight, fine wool thread is known as medici or broder medici and used to be manufactured by the DMC group.
- Yarn or wool used for tapestries is a tightly wound four ply yarn.
Fine Brand Name Embroidery Thread Is Best
Embroidery thread comes in every imaginable style, thickness, type, and of course, color. When you want to start a project to embroider, you may want to consider using embroidery software on your computer which will allow you to create stunning machine embroidery designs!
Every major name brand of embroidery thread, including that special metallic embroidery thread is available from various suppliers of both retail and wholesale embroidery thread.
You can choose from Arc embroidery thread, Sulky embroidery thread, Madeira embroidery thread, DMC embroidery thread, Isacord embroidery thread, and Mettler embroidery thread for your next embroidery project.
Some Embroidery Thread May Be Toxic
Threads used in embroidery machines are usually made of rayon or polyester but can sometimes be silk or cotton.
Some threads, or raw materials, used in textiles may contain compounds that are harmful to humans.
Many dyes are known to cause allergies or in some cases, cancer. There are several commercial laboratories that conduct tests on dyes and other additives to determine if they're harmful.
A Hip Embroidery Lesson!
Disclaimer: The information on this Hub page does not constitute medical, legal, commercial, product, and/or service advice or endorsement of any vendor, supplier and/or brand, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. Listing of an entity or service on this Hub page is not a warranty of the quality or efficacy of the products or services furnished by any entity. The author is not directly compensated by any entity other than the advertising placement services shown on this page.
More by this Author
A quick guide to the galaxy of pasta shapes from Agnolotti (Baby Goats) to Ziti (Bridegrooms) and the more unusual ones like Strozzapreti (Stranglers Of The Priests)!
Here are the ten worst rubbish, detritus, mutant, flotsam and jetsam throwaway scrap metal piles of offensive sewage junk Naked Bikes that will have you pleading for them to put some clothes ON!
Genovese pasta sauce has been Naples' best kept secret for over 400 years. This incredible onion-beef sauce simmers all day long until it's poured over steaming hot pasta and covered in Parmigiano Reggiano. Irresistible!