The Mysterious Starfish
Did You Know...?
Starfish, sea animals that are not fish-like at all, are truly mysterious creatures. There is a movement to stop calling them "starfish" and to start calling them "sea stars." Starfish looks like star-shaped coral, thus a boney and spiny exterior. They are known to regenerate their limbs when broken.
The main diet of starfish are shellfish such as clams, snails, oysters, hermit crabs, and other mollusks. Starfish have suctioning tube feet to pry open shellfish, then the stomach extrudes from the mouth to feed on the prey by injecting digestive juice into the prey such a clam and then the stomach sucks the prey into the two-chamber stomach.
Some More Interesting Facts
* The starfish has no blood but uses the sea water is filtered through its body.
* The legs have organs and reproductive organs. Starfish can live up to 35 years.
* The common enemies of starfish are sharks, manta rays, and large bony fish. Otters also eat starfish.
* Even starfish can eat other starfish.
* Starfish are related to sea urchins, brittle stars, and sea cucumber.
* Starfish are most colorful when they are alive. They are usually dyed when they are dried and sold.
* The most common colors of starfish are pink, orange, red, gray and white. They have special cells in their skin called chromatophores that determine color and its intensity.
The starfish is symbolism for Virgin Mary in Christianity. It also represents divine love (love from God). The starfish is also a symbol of regeneration and healing.
Starfish are endangered species. In addition to people taking them home as souvenirs and a market for selling starfish, they also are affected by the toxin and pollution in the sea and oceans.
A Starfish Feeding
Anatomy of A Sea Star
More by this Author
Everyone loves having their questions answered, and sometimes those questions pertain to the future because people are curious about the future. You have palmistry, tarot cards, and psychic crystal ball readers. There...
What Was Once A Laughing Cheese Container FormosanGirl's Personal Collection I am glad to hear that the students in school learn about the three basic concepts to a better tomorrow "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle." Around...
I grew up with my Mom and her Singer. There was not a week where I did not see my Mom sew. The Singer brand was comforting when my husband surprised me with a sewing machine in 1995. Unfortunately, the honeymoon between...