Upcycling: 10 Things to Make with a Shower Curtain
Dog Bed Cover
For the dog bed shown in the picture above, I simply wrapped the shower around the bed form as if it were a present being wrapped. When it needs washing, it will be easy to remove. The fabric is cool and comfortable for my dog, and she seems to really like it!
Old Shower Curtains
I have probably replaced six to eight shower curtains over the last twenty years. That was before I realized how versatile a shower curtain can be. Shower curtains are made from material that is usually water resistant, easy to clean, and comes in large pieces of material. This makes them perfect for reusing in many innovative ways. In this hub, I will give you ten useful ways to reuse a shower curtain that require very little work on your part. So, the next time you take down an old shower curtain, clean it, fold it, and place it in your linen closet until you need it. You will be glad you did!
No Old Shower Curtain?
If you don't have an old shower curtain and want to get started on one of the projects listed here, then there are several stores that carry inexpensive shower curtains. Outdoor tablecloths can also be used for these projects. The stores I have seen reasonably-priced shower curtains and tablecloths at are: Ross, TJ Max, K-mart, Walmart, and the Dollar General store. You can also find them on sale or clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond, JC Penneys, and Sears.
Have you ever reused an old shower curtain for a useful purpose?See results without voting
Pinterest Upcycled Shower Curtains
Several pics of ways people have upcycled shower curtains.
- Refashion Clothes: How to Upcycle, Recycle and Reuse...
Whatever you call it; recycling, reusing, upcycling or refashioning, using used clothing and turning it into something new is a great idea! This article explores how to get started with refashioning clothes.
- How to Recycle or Upcycle Bottle Caps
Bottle caps must be separated from their bottles in the process of their recycling and are always thrown away as wastes. This hub gives some ideas how to upcycle bottle caps so that they become useful.
Fantastic upcycling ideas!
Great Print for Outdoor Pillows or Cushions
Project Ideas for Shower Curtains
- All-weather blanket: Use a large beach towel or thin blanket. Place the shower curtain on top of the towel or blanket. Cut the shower curtain so that it is the same size as the fabric. Sew the edges together. The shower curtain side will be placed on the ground, face-down, preventing moisture from seeping through to the fabric side.
- Beach bag or grocery bag: Cut a large rectangle from fabric, fold in half lengthwise with pattern side facing in. Sew opposite sides closed. Flip right-side-out, fold the top edge over and sew to keep in place. Attach handles made from rope or other material. Three to four of these can be made out of a single shower curtain.
- Outdoor furniture cover, grill cover, or fire-pit cover: Place shower curtain right-side- down, over the item to be covered. Pin edges closed so that curtain fits over item well. Sew where pinned and trim edges. Turn right-side out and cover the item.
- Outdoor cushion and pillow covers: Pillow forms can be purchased at your local fabric store, or old pillows can be made to look new. Lay pillow on the right side of fabric. Cut fabric two inches from the edge of the pillow. Use the first shape to cut another piece like it. Lay pieces with the print side facing each other. Sew 3 sides closed, flip right-side out, push pillow form into cover and sew remaining side closed.
- Table cover: Cut fabric to fit table as you wish. Use creative cutting scissors for an unusual edge, or leave edges as they are.
- Shade sail: Cut fabric into a shape you want; shade sails are usually seen in the shape of a triangle or rectangle. Use a hole puncher to place one hole in each corner. Tie corded rope to each corner. Attach free ends of the rope to posts, trees, or other tall-standing objects in your yard where you would like to have shade.
- Raincover: You will be able to make two childrens' raincoats with these instructions. Trim the edge where holes are to remove them. Cut shower curtain in half. Fold one piece in half so that you almost have a square. Cut semicircle large enough to place over the head of a child, in the middle of the fold. Another option is to cut a large X and trim corners. Repeat with the second piece.
- Drawer liners/Trunk liner: Measure base of drawer or trunk and draw onto fabric. Cut out and put in place. If measuring is difficult, put the newspaper down, press into place gently, cut along folds and use this as the pattern for cutting out duplicate pieces for liners.
- Dog Bed: The dog bed does not require any sewing or cutting. Lay the fabric print side down. Place the dog bed in the center of the fabric. Fold fabric around dog bed as if wrapping a present. Turn dog bed over and put in place.
- Tent: Visit Craftionary.net for 15 creative ways to make a tent. The ideas include using bamboo, PVC pipes, and a clothesline. They all cost very little and will produce happy children.
- Wall Art: Take a shower curtain with a beautiful print and hang it on a wall. A child's bedroom, a dorm room, or a playroom would all be perfect places to do this.
More by this Author
Learn how to make a unique magnetic necklace that can be worn a number of ways, including as a bracelet. Follow these 5 simple steps to create your own piece of jewelry.
Have you ever wondered how to crochet a necklace with beads? You will be surprised at how simple it is to do. Get inspired by looking at these examples and follow these simple instructions to create your own beautiful...
If you are trying to get a tan using an indoor tanning facility, there are several things you can do to achieve a beautiful bronze tan.