Valentine's Day Party Craft for Kids
With three daughter's I can't tell you how many holiday parties I have attended at elementary school. It would hurt me to think about it. I also served on the PTA board as Membership Chair and I was a volunteer for a specific teacher for three years as well as running a copy center for the staff. I spent quite a bit of my time at the school and one of the hardest things was hosting classroom parties.
The necessary ingredients are always, a craft, snacks (now only healthy thank you!) and a game. I had to come up with a new plan each time because kids are tricky like that. They remember that stuff. Do you really want to have 30 pairs of eyes staring at you when you give them a dumb craft to do? No! You don't! On top of that - you might embarrass your own child in front of their entire class. Oh the pressure.
If you are looking for a dynamite craft for your child to make for Valentine's Day, this is the utlimate and most perfect craft for elementary school. Not only is it really cute, but it's easy and doesn't require glitter or glue! The only reservation I had was I worried the boys wouldn't like this idea so much - but I was wrong. Elementary school boys even liked this one!
- Empty SweetHeart Candy box
- A small photo of the child
- A roll of magnetic tape
- Double sided sticky tape
This craft is so easy and the kids love making these photo boxes. Much of the work can be done ahead of time for simplicity or for younger children.
- Sweetheart boxes used to come with a plastic cover over a heart shaped cut out. They now seem to make all the boxes with cardboard and no plastic heart shaped window. For this reason, I used a box cutter and cut the heart shape out. Scissors can be used at the discretion of the teachers.
- Open the top of the box carefully.
- Put sticky tape on the back side of the child's photograph.
- Insert the photo into the box and tape it down to the back of the box.
- Insert a piece of transparent paper and sticky tape it over the heart shaped hole.
- Re-seal the box with sticky tape.
- Use the sticky tape or adhesive to tape a magnet to the back of the box.
- Voila! You now have a shadow box with your favorite sweet heart's photo for your refrigerator.
Simple, fun and a great keepsake!
This craft is a photo in a sweetheart box with the face of your favorite sweetie looking back at you. It looks almost like it is in a shadow box. Each year when our school has picture day - the studio takes a set of small photographs of each child on one page. They are given to the teachers and I asked "my teacher" if I could have that page of photos and she didn't hesitate to give them to me for the class project. This was not an option one year, so I went to school with my camera one day and during a break, each child came into the hall and I took their photos and printed them on my home printer.
This craft is super awesome because it's fast, the instructions are easy to follow and there isn't room for error as far as making huge messes. No glitter, no glue and you end up with the cutest picture frame for the refrigerator, office or a perfect gift for grandparents!
- Ideas for Valentines Day Party - Decorations and Games
Need ideas on planning a Valentine's Day party? Make your list for decorations and party favors. Decide on games and activities, as well as food and tableware. You might also consider a theme for your Valentine's party!
"If you want an interesting party sometime, combine cocktails and a fresh box of crayons for everyone." ~Robert Fulghum
More by this Author
Petits Fours are the hottest dessert bites on the table. Learn how simple they are to make right at home in your own kitchen!
Sociopaths are quite common and we deal with them everyday. They are not easy to spot because they look just like me or you. What is a sociopath?
Here is the scoop about sleep studies. What to expect for the sleep study and how you can participate in research studies and get paid!