Why Crocheting is Making a Comeback--Modern Crafters Hooked on Practical Craft
It Ain't Just for Grannies!
In many people's minds, when they think of crochet, they picture grandmothers, granny squares and crocheted barbie doll dresses. Nothing could be further from the truth.
For busy, time-strapped men and women, crocheting has turned out to be the perfect modern craft. And new designers are pushing the limits, as far as creativity goes and are turning out some stunning designs.
Online crafting sites have cropped up, which makes sharing and selling that much easier and many have found their love of the craft has morphed into side-businesses, facilitated by this virtual medium.
And, of course, economics plays into it. Modern crafters have discovered the sheer practicality of crochet. Perhaps no other craft offers so much potential in relation to the variety of items that can be produced, and all without a huge initial outlay for supplies and/or having to invest in specialized equipment before even getting started.
Another benefit is that crochet is so portable. On-the-go moderns can take their crochet projects with them wherever they sojourn.
And let's not forget about quality and value for the dollar. Many have grown tired of "cheaply-made, mass-produced," and are seeking out unique items that take time and skill to produce.
This article will explore some of many wonderful items that can be made from crochet. By the time you've finished reading, you just might see why crocheting is considered by many to be the craft of choice. (Why, dear old grandma, just may have known a thing or two after all.)
It's no wonder modern parents are seeking out items like the set seen below. Try finding something like this in a store.
Winnie The Poo Clothing
Kids' Crocheted HatsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Kids Crocheted Items Popular and in Demand
In recent years, innovative kids' designs have emerged that are fun and funky. The sky's the limit in terms of creativity.
A huge market has opened up for cute kid's clothing items. And what is being produced is eye-catching indeed and far exceeds the mass-produced clothing offered in stores.
These trendy, unique items are in great demand and are hot-selling items at craft fairs.
They are so cute, it's not hard to see why modern parents want them.
It's not hard to see why both parents and kids love soft and cuddly crochet toys.
Crocheted Toys Make Great Keepsakes
Other Highly Sought Items
Crochet Jewelry--This is an item that has caught on in recent years, with many beautiful crocheted earrings produced and sold each year. An ABC video clip, Crochet's Come-Back discusses why crocheted jewelry is the current fashion trend, incorporating different metals, stones and beads.
Crocheted Purses and Totes--Because crochet generally results in a stiffer fabric it makes a good medium for making purses that will stand up to wear.
Trendy Crocheted Clothing Items
- Boot toppers
- Leg Warmers
Crocheting for the Kitchen
A kitchen can be outfitted with many different crocheted items to match any color scheme.
- Dishcloths: Sturdy dishcloths do a great job of cleaning and stand up to wear.
- Potholders: A great use for yarn scraps.
- Bowls: In recent years, crochet bowls have come into vogue and what a great idea! These make a perfect container for fruit and they are washable.
- Heat pads: Crocheted heat pads make up quickly and are a perfect way to use up left-over cotton yarn.
- Place mats: Why add more plastic to landfills when you can make your own place mats?
- Tea cozies: These are a favorite for keeping tea warm in the pot and protecting tea pots from chipping. With newer trendier designs, these have taken on a new appearance.
- Valances/curtains: Unique valances and curtain panels can be made and dressed up with crystals.
- Wall Hangings: Great-looking kitchen wall hangings can be created to match any color scheme.
Crocheted Basket With Scalloped Edging
Beautiful Crocheted Bedspread
Crocheting for the Rest of the House
Everyday items can be produced via crochet and can help to stretch dollars. It costs far less to make a crocheted basket or rug, for example, than to purchase these items.
- Baskets--whip up so easily and if you are a fan of handy containers, these are ideal.
- Tablecloths--can be visually stunning and make a wonderful adornment for antique tables and/or keepsakes to tuck into a trunk.
- Bedspreads--lacy bedspreads can be made from crochet.
- Afghans--are an all-time favorite, for their color, warmth, and durability.
- Blankets--are heavier and warmer than those bought in a store.
- Rugs--can be darn right beautiful, depending on how you design them and where you place them.
Interesting Decorative Items
A range of attractive décor items can be crocheted that can spell big savings in terms of cost and that make beautiful additions to the home.
- Crocheted Christmas Ornaments and Accessories: You can make snowflakes, angels, gingerbread men, bells. As well as tree skirts and stockings.
- Crocheted Wreaths: All kinds of unique wreaths can be made from crochet.
- Crocheted Suncatchers: Eye-catching hung in a windows.
- Crocheted Window & Wall Hangings: Crochet utilizes certain stitches that facilitate production of complex designs that work well for crocheted window and wall art.
- Crocheted Flowers: Many of today's modern brides prefer crocheted wedding bouquets. these look stunning and can be kept as a keepsake.
- Crocheted Cacti: These are so incredibly cute.
- Crocheted Shelf edging--Why not pretty up shelf and mantle edges with crocheted lace?
- Crocheted Toys--Crocheted toys can be so cute and they wear like iron.
Crocheting Taking the World by Storm
Yarn exchanges have cropped up in various locations and a vast resource of free crochet patterns and crocheting tutorials can be found online.
Crochet classes are in vogue again.
One only has to see the wonderful creations at Etsy, Ravelry, Craftsy, and other sites like Pinterest and Facebook to note the growing interest in this craft.
No doubt about it, crochet is experiencing a rebirth and is evolving in exciting directions.
Can You See Why So Many People are Rediscovering Crochet?See results without voting
© 2013 Athlyn Green
More by this Author
A free pattern for a crocheted dishcloth worked in variegated kitchen cotton and trimmed with a scalloped edge.
Why not use up all those left-over yarn scraps to make a brightly-colored crocheted blanket? An easy project for frugal crocheters.
A free pattern for a no-fuss--no-muss dishcloth for everyday use.