Winter Photo Ideas: Photography Props and More
Most people do not think of winter as an ideal season for outdoor photography sessions. However, don't let the cold temperatures stop you from shooting outside. Winter offers a unique color palette and numerous possibilities for textures and patterns that create captivating, interesting compositions. This year think about using a selection of fun winter accessories, props, and backdrops. With choices ranging from backdrops and banners to baby props, there is something here for everyone.
A Few Ideas for Winter Props and Backdrops
Engagement and Couple Shoots
Newborn Babies and Infants
Baby and Little Kid Prop Ideas
- Sled. You can opt for an action shot or simply use it as a prop, particularly for a baby or smaller child.
- Snowmen. This classic image puts a smile on everyone's face. Don't forget to take some action shots of the snowman building in action as well as a final pose with the finished snowman (or snowmen).
- Snowball fight. This is another classic shot that is perfect for kids of just about any age. The only trouble will be keeping it contained enough to get a few good pictures.
Newborn Photography Posing Arms crossed under Chin
Baby and Little Kid Accessories
- Baby boots. Knit or crocheted boots are perfect.
- Cocoon (or pod suit) or nest. These options are classic baby props for any season, but they seem particularly fitting for winter.
- Headband. You can't go wrong with a headband in a versatile color scheme that will carry you into other seasons for a photo shoot. Don't forget to consider the option of making one yourself.
- Winter hats. There are more winter hat props available for baby shoots than you would ever imagine as well as a plethora of patterns in case you want to create one of your own. Of course there are other outerwear options available for both babies and children, but this is definitely the most popular option for photo shoots right now.
Check out winter hat baby photo props on Etsy!
How to Knit Baby Booties Shoes Part - 1
Couples Accessories and Props
Tip: Many of these ideas are great for groups of friends who are interested in fun photo ideas throughout the winter.
- Ice skating. This can be a fun setting for a photo shoot if both people are comfortable skating.
- "Pop" of color. For example, consider pairing brightly colored clothing or a bunch of balloons against a stark background.
- Sled. Much like kid or baby photo sessions, a sled can add to an action shot or it can be a great prop.
- Snowball fight. End your photo session with a little childhood fun. You never know when these photos will end up being some of your favorites.
- Snowman. This is another classic childhood image that will evoke a sweet sentiment from a couple building it together.
- Snow writing. Use the snow to draw a heart or write a simple "I love you" or a wedding date.
- Winter outerwear. You don't need to bundle up heavily for a photo shoot, but a bright hat, scarf, or pair of mittens can add a great element to a photo. Look for accessories that coordinate but are not overly matching for couples photos.
Tip: Think about making a banner that will be sturdy enough to pull out again in following years.
A banner is a simple method for creating a winter backdrop for virtually any setting. There are a wide variety of ideas out there for Christmas, but if you want to create something that will last you the entire season, consider the following ideas. You can mix and match them as you like.
- Letters spelling out "winter."
- The message "let it snow."
- The message "winter wonderland."
- A snowflake themed banner.
- Do you enjoy pendant banners? You can create pendants for different letters or images.
- Snowmen images.
- Cardinals in the snow images.
Snowflake Banner Tutorials
If you're planning outdoor winter photography sessions, consider working the following options into your backgrounds. Don't be afraid to mix and match ideas.
- Falling snow.
- Frozen pond.
- Pine trees.
- Stark trees.
- Snowy ground, forests, hills, or mountains.
How to take amazing photos in the snow
More Winter Photography Resources
- Winter Photo Ideas
Don't let the colder temperatures during the winter months deter you from exploring a variety of photography shoots. Think about multiple items and settings for props and backgrounds.
- 500px : Handy Photo Tips For Shooting Outdoors This Winter - 500px ISO
Beautiful Photography, Incredible Stories
- Winter Photographs: Quiet Beauty Captured in Photography
Beautiful winter photographs to enjoy. Scenes of snow, ice and quiet beauty of the season.
© 2013 Rose Clearfield
More by this Author
Are you planning a Christmas photo shoot? Make your session complete with fun props, accessories, and backdrops for babies, kids, families, and couples.
Don't let the colder temperatures during the winter months deter you from exploring a variety of photography shoots. Think about multiple items and settings for props and backgrounds. All of these ideas are applicable...
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.