Wooden Thread Spool Crafts
What you can make with old wooden thread spools?
Just a Few Possibilities
Bulletin Board or Picture Frame
Cupboard or Door Handle
Wooden thread spools add a vintage charm to many different types of craft projects. After you have used up the thread, consider re-purposing or upcycling the spools into functional or fun pieces for your home. With drawer pulls to wreaths to bulletin boards, there is something here for everyone. Many of the projects here are suited for both kids and adults. Happy crafting!
Wish List Spool Ornament
Where can you find old wooden thread spools?
Many people opt to craft with wooden thread spools because they already have a bunch of them hanging around the house. However, if you're interested in making a craft with them and don't already have a stash, you may be able to hunt down enough of them for your project.
- eBay. I was surprised just how many listings there are on eBay for bulk lots of wooden thread spools. You should not have trouble getting a reasonable bid in for all of the spools that you'll need for your projects.
- Etsy. There are a number of listings on Etsy for both new and vintage wooden spools. If you're interested in sets of identical spools for specific types of projects, this can be a good option.
- Craigslist and freecycle. If you would rather explore options that don't involve shipping, you may be able to find spool listings on your local Craigslist or freecycle.
- Garage sales. You never know when you'll stumble on a great spool find at a garage sale. When you scout listings online or in the newspaper, look for information about craft or sewing supplies.
- Thrift stores and flea markets. Second hand stores and flea markets can be hit or miss for this type of supply, but if you frequent these places, it's worth keeping your eyes open.
- Family sewing collections. Do you have access to old craft supplies from a grandma or aunt that you've never tapped before or haven't pulled out recently? Check for wooden thread spools.
Photo Ornament Day 6 Spool Ornament
Wooden Thread Spool Craft Projects
- Wreath. Hot glue is the preferred method for attaching wooden spools to a wreath form. E-6000 and tacky glue also work well. Some people opt to decorate their spools before they glue them while others leave them plain for a more rustic aesthetic. You can also combine plain and decorated spools for a single piece. Customize your wreath for any holiday, occasion, or season.
- Decorated table. If you browse Pinterest on a regular basis, you may have seen this idea floating around. The original tutorial link no longer works, and I can't find another one anywhere online, but the concept is fairly self-explanatory. The trick will be hunting down a table that works for the project.
- Picture frame or bulletin board frame. This tutorial is for a bulletin board frame, but you can customize this concept for virtually any type of frame. I love the blog author's idea to complete her spool decorated bulletin board with some spool thumb tacks.
- Christmas ornaments. There are so many sources of inspiration online for Christmas ornaments made from both wooden and plastic spools. Once the wheels start turning, you won't be able to stop making ornaments.
- More Christmas décor. Maya Road has a great tutorial for an adorable miniature spool Christmas tree. She opted to decorate it with vintage sheet music and book pages, but of course you can change this up as you like. It will be the perfect addition to any table top during the holiday season.
- Decorative snowflakes. For those who are feeling more adventurous, you can fashion your spools into virtually any shape. Snowflakes are a fun option for winter décor that you can leave up after Christmas.
- Valentine's Day décor. This large heart is marketed as Valentine's Day décor, but don't feel limited to that. It can be a cherry component to any room throughout the year.
- Jewelry. This tutorial is for a spool bracelet. You can alter the concept to make necklaces and earrings.
- Decorated spools as décor. Decorated spools can stand on their own for many different types of home decorating. Susan of Art in Stitches wrapped her spools with tiny embroidered pieces that she used to fill a small baby cradle. Kelli of Ephemeral Alchemy decorated his spools with poetry. If you like this idea of using words on your spools, consider favorite quotes as well.
Altered Thread Spools
Functional Purposes for Wooden Thread Spools
In addition to crafty ideas, there are a handful of functional ways to use wooden thread spools around the house, too. If you don't want to use plain thread spools, paint or decorate them first.
- Jewelry display or hanger. Some people create a display with wooden spools while other people simply attach the spools to the wall.
- Drawer pull.
- Cupboard or door handle. I have seen pictures of this before, but of course I couldn't find example when I was finally putting all of my thread spool ideas together. The concept is very similar to the drawer pull.
Do you enjoy using recycled objects for craft projects? Check out some more project ideas from the author.
- Uses for Wine Corks: Crafts, Home Décor Projects, Garden Ideas, and More
This article is about uses for wine corks. It includes a wide variety of photos, tutorials, and other resources for crafts, home décor projects, garden ideas, and much more. There is something here for everyone.
- Ways to Reuse Empty Pill Bottles: Crafts, Ideas, and More
This article is about ways to reuse empty pill bottles. It includes basic ways to reuse and recycle them as well as craft projects with pill bottles. There are lots of photos, links, and other resources.
- Recycled Old T-Shirt Craft Ideas: Clothing and Accessory Projects
Do you have old t-shirts lying around at home? Recycle them into clothing and accessories with these craft projects and ideas.
More by this Author
This article is about machine sewing/ stitching with paper. It includes general tips for the process, projects/tutorials, and ideas for additional elements (e.g. borders, embellishments, etc.).
Are you interested in craft ideas with buttons? This article includes 10 ideas for easy button craft projects with lots of photos and resources.
This article is a big round up of coaster tutorials. It includes coaster tutorials for fabric, tile, and more. There are links and photos for all of these tutorials with additional resources for some of them.